Canker sores, also called aphthous ulcers, are small, shallow lesions that grow on the soft tissues of the mouth or at the base of the gums. They are painful, and makes it difficult to eat and talk.
Baking soda, known as sodium bicarbonate generally comes in powder form. It has antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties which becomes effective in the treatment of canker sores.
How Does Baking Soda Help In The Treatment Of Canker Sores?
There are innumerable uses of baking soda. As it has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal antiseptic properties, it does aid in reducing canker sores.
- Canker sores can be sometimes caused by eating a lot of acidic food. Baking soda aids in neutralizing the achis and rebalance the pH level.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties. It can help in reducing the swelling and inflammation of canker sores.
- It is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. It can protect the sores from infection and improve overall health of the mouth.
- It stimulates fresh breath.
- A paste made out of baking soda can also acts as a shield, protecting the sores from further aggravation.
How To Use Baking Soda for Canker Sore?
Mouth Rinse With Baking Soda And Water:
- Add 1/2 tsp of baking soda into ½ cup of water.
- Instead of consuming the mixture, you just have to swish it in your mouth for about a minute and spit it out.
- The swelling and redness will be reduced due to the inflammatory properties present in baking soda.
- Be careful not to swallow it.
Topical Treatment Using Baking Soda And Water Paste:
- Using 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 tablespoon water, make a smooth paste.
- With the help of your finger or a Q-tip, apply the paste on the ulcer.
- Don’t eat or drink anything until the paste dissolves. It might sting a little when first applied and large ulcers will be tender.
- Allow the pste to dry off completely and then using lukewarm water, rinse it off.
- You will have to go through this regime once in a day.
Baking Soda With Hydrogen Peroxide And Salt:
- Take small amounts of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and salt.
- Combine all the three ingredients into a paste.
- Rinse your mouth with this paste 5 times a day.
Baking Soda With Aloe Vera:
- Using aloe vera juice, thoroughly rinse your mouth.
- Once done, take some baking soda and apply it directly on the sores.
- You can rinse it off with water after a few minutes.
Tips And Precautions:
Though baking soda is considered therapeutic and safe to cure canker sores, one must follow these guidelines while trying these DIY tricks at home:
- Avoid consuming acidic foods during canker sores.
- You might feel a stinging effect while applying baking soda.
- Do not forget to rinse your mouth with baking soda after every meal.
- People suffering from high blood pressure should be careful lest you should swallow baking soda as it has high levels of sodium.
- Always use a baking soda which is prescribed by dentists.
If the ulcer persists even after trying these home made remedies, do not delay in consulting doctor.