Constipation is a commonly faced issue and causes could be due to regular intake of processed food, alcohol, smoking, irregular eating or overeating, less consumption of water, stress etc. The uneasiness can make it extremely uncomfortable for the ones suffering with this health problem.
Does Chia Seeds Help In Relieving Constipation?
Constipation is a result of slow movement of waste in the bowel. As a result stool becomes hard to pass. Homemade remedies bring short term relief. However if the problem persists then one must consult the doctor.
- The effect of chia seeds on IBS systems is extremely positive.
- Chia seeds usually become gel-like when they absorb water. This helps in ensuring that the stools become moist and pass through easily.
- It contains omega 3 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds consist of soluble fiber which is more favourable for people suffering from IBS.
How To Use Chia Seeds for Constipation:
There are many counter top medications for fighting the problem of constipation. However, they come with their side effects. Using Chia Seeds is a natural process of combating the problem.
Directions For Use Of Chia Seeds:
1. Chia Seeds Soaked In Water:
You can directly consume the seed in the following manner.
- Take two to three tablespoons of chia seeds.
- Soak it in water.
- Keep it soaked overnight.
- Have it every alternative day.
- Drink plenty of water.
2. Chia Seeds In Tortillas:
If you do not want to consume the seeds directly use them in tortillas and turn it into a snack.
- Mix up one and a half cups of whole wheat flour, one and a half tablespoons of flax meal, two tablespoons chia seeds, one fourth teaspoon of baking powder, one tablespoon oil (coconut or olive) and four fifth cup of water.
- Make a fine dough.
- Cut the dough into four or five balls and flatten them.
- Put them on a preheated pan for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Add any favourite spices to make it sweet or savoury.
3. Chia Seeds As Crusting On Fishes And Meat:
Next time instead of using flour use the following mixture.
- Mix one tablespoon of chia seeds with one cup of cornmeal.
- Add some of your favourite spices.
- Preferably use turmeric and garlic powder.
- Coat the fish or meat with this mixture and bake them.
4. Chia Seeds In Pudding:
You can enhance the nutritional value of your pudding by using chia seeds in them.
- Take one cup of almond/coconut milk and three tablespoons of chia seeds in a bowl.
- Mix them thoroughly.
- Refrigerate the mixture overnight.
- Add in some fruits, nuts, coconut shavings, powders, or spices to increase the taste.
Tips And Precautions:
Though chia seeds are a favourite among people it needs to be consumed with certain precautions. Though these are not common to everyone yet ont must be cautious.
- Consuming chia seeds can cause gastrointestinal issues among many people , hence only limited quantity is advised.
- It causes thinning of the blood, hence people having any blood related disease should not consume these seeds.
- It affects the blood sugar level in the body, hence anyone suffering with diabetes should take extra precautions while consuming chia seeds.
Some symptoms like trouble breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, and swelling of the tongue have been noticed. If found, one should immediately rush to the doctor.