Milk from the mother’s breast is called breast milk and the best source of nutrition for a newborn. Breastfeeding is strongly recommended for the first six months after a baby is born and should also continue for 12 months for the baby’s health.
But for mothers with low milk supply, it can put the baby at the risk for malnutrition. Therefore, it’s important to get it checked out. Fenugreek which is easily found in our household is known to have properties to boost the supply of breast milk.
Is Fenugreek A Useful Herb to Boost Milk Supply?.
Mothers who wish to increase their milk supply may consider using Fenugreek.
- Fenugreek has been used as a herb and medicine since ancient times and also as a galactogogue which means that it can boost the supply of milk.
- They are effective in increasing the prolactin levels.
- It contains diosgenin, which boosts milk flow.
- It has chemicals like estrogen which promotes lactation.
How To Take Fenugreek Seeds To Boost The Supply Of Breast Milk?
Due to the presence of diosgenin, the ripe fenugreek seeds are dried and used. Following are the ways in which one can use fenugreek to increase milk production in lactating mothers.
1. Fenugreek Capsules:
- Dosage: 2 to 3 capsules (580–610 mg each) should be taken orally thrice a day.
- Results are often noticed in 1 to 3 days.
- Fenugreek capsules are available in health food stores and natural food stores.
- One can generally discontinue it once there is an increase in the milk supply.
2. Fenugreek Tea:
- Crush the fenugreek seeds coarsely.
- Take some water in a vessel and let it simmer.
- Add the crushed seeds.
- Cover the container for 3 minutes.
- Strain the concoction and drink it.
- You can also add natural honey to sweeten it.
- Take one cup of this tea, 3-4 times per day.
3. Fenugreek Sprouts:
- Soak some fenugreek seeds in a glass of clear water.
- Do not forget to rinse the seeds before you leave them to sprout.
- Leave it in the dark for five days and they are ready.
- You can add these sprouts in your salads and other food items to increase the nutrition value as it is rich in iron, potassium and other minerals.
4. Fenugreek Powder:
- Take some dry and clean seeds.
- Grind them to a fine powder.
- You can add this in your juice or drink it with plain water.
- The dosage is 1 teaspoon 3 times a day.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always check the expiry date before buying.
- Go for the pure and organic fenugreek powder or supplements. See that no other herb or substance is combined to it.
- The use of Fenugreek may cause a maple-syrup odor in a motherʼs or baby’s sweat.
- It can lower blood sugar and may cause allergy in people with a history of asthma.
- Diabetic or asthmatic or allergic mothers should consult their health care providers before using fenugreek.
- The use of this herb may also cause diarrhea.
- Fenugreek is generally safe, but should not be used by pregnant mothers.