Hair fall, alopecia or baldness, by whatever name we call it, it is always undesirable and everyone would like to stop, prevent and reverse it. Hair has an important role in maintaining the physical appearance of a person which is generally the first impression created on anyone. They also play a big role in the self-image of a person which is an important psychological aspect in anyone’s life. Good and healthy hair can make a person look young and full of vigor while a person with baldness is often associated with old age, diseases and a dull personality. There is no denying about the importance of hair which cannot be reiterated enough and why we must care for our hair.
Causes of Hair Fall
Before discussing the causes of hair fall, it is quintessential to understand the various types of hair fall we suffer from.
Hair fall is general categorised into the following types:
- Female-pattern baldness
- Telogen Effluvium (commonly called ‘Hair Thinning’)
While not all the causes for hair fall are known to humankind yet, but we can consider what we know to avoid faltering. The common causes of hair fall include:
- Various infections like Dissecting cellulitis, Fungal infections (e.g.: tinea capitis), Folliculitis, Secondary syphilis, etc. or the presence of Demodex folliculorum (a microscopic mite that eats away hair nutrition).
- Intake of various pharmaceutical drugs like those for reducing blood pressure, combating mycotic infections, diabetes or cholesterol control or heart related ailments. Administering steroids, acne medications, contraceptive pills or hormone replacement therapies also contribute to hair loss.
- Treatments like chemotherapy or radiotherapy also cause hair loss.
- Traction alopecia is found in people who fancy ponytails, cornrows, etc. or those who pull or brush their hair with excessive force. This can also be found in those cases where we are rough while massaging the hair or are heat styling them. Compulsively pulling and/or bending the hair also cause hair-fall.
- Childbirth, surgery, poisoning or certain medical conditions can also be causes.
Although most of the causes of hair loss have been discussed now, but the diagnosis of the cause should be left to dermatologists to get to the root of the problem.
Home Remedies For Hair Growth:
Home remedies have been helping us keep healthy since the beginning of time and since they are harmless in nature being time-tested, we can practice them for our benefit at our home, with not much expertise or experience needed in curing certain problems. They are easy to administer and the ingredients can generally be found in our kitchens, and if not then they are never far as we can find them in most stores.
Magical Properties Of Methi Useful For Hair:
Methi contains various vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients which are highly beneficial for our overall health. It also contains Copper, Iron, Zinc, Calcium and other minerals beneficial for hair growth. It also contains Lecithin which reduces hair fall, improves hair health and ensures good growth. Nicotinic acid present increases the hair growth and potassium prevents undesirable greying of hair. Thiamine, Vitamin B-6, folic acid, Vitamins A & C also ensure a healthy body and healthy hair. The Flavonoids present in this super healthy thing also help improving the overall blood circulation which is also beneficial to hair.
Now that we know that Methi is a powerhouse of hair health essentials, let us learn to use it to our benefit to either maintain a healthy set of hair or to stop the hair fall that has begun in many of us and do our bit to resuscitate our youthful hair. Mentioned below are uses of methi in combating hair problems.
- Soak 2 teaspoons methi seeds in warm and pure coconut/olive oil overnight. Use this for massaging the scalp for nourishing hair follicles and promoting better hair growth. Leave it on for half an hour and then shampoo as usual with lukewarm water (Do not use hot warm to wash hair). This can also be done after grinding the methi seeds into a powder and then mixing it with the coconut oil.
- Boil methi seeds in water for a few minutes. Strain the water, keep it for around 3 hours and this can be used for rinsing after shampooing and using conditioner.
- Take 2 tea spoons of methi seeds. Soak them overnight in about a cup of water. Grind the methi seeds to form a paste in the morning and apply this paste to the scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash off and shampoo. The water in which methi seeds were soaked can also be used to rinse the hair as it is vitamin rich.
- Powder some methi seeds and curry leaves. Mix this powdered mixture with coconut oil to make a paste. Apply this paste on your scalp and keep it on for about 30 minutes. Rinse and shampoo as usual. This hair pack nourishes the scalp and promotes the growth of healthy hair.
- Soak 2 teaspoon of methi seeds in a glass of boiled water and leave it overnight and drink the water empty stomach after filtering the seeds out. This will also reduce hair loss. The seeds left can be ground to form a paste which can be used as a hair mask and then washed after 30 minutes. We need not even use conditioner after washing the hair.
- Make a paste of methi seeds and cooked black bean. Applying it twice or thrice a week to the scalp helps reduce hair fall and adds volume to the hair.
- After soaking 2 teaspoons of methi seeds overnight, turn the seeds into a paste and add egg yolk to it and mix thoroughly to form a uniform concoction. Apply this as a hair pack for 45 minutes and wash afterwards with shampoo and conditioner to rid the hair off the smell of eggs and methi.
- Mix powdered methi seeds with curd and apply on wet hair. This not only reduces hair fall but also gets our scalp rid of dandruff as well.
- Take 4 teaspoons of methi seeds, soak them overnight and make a paste out of them in the morning. To this paste add coconut milk and apply this mix on the scalp and hair and then wash it off after a while. It does wonders in strengthening and reversing the hair damage.
Now that we know so many easy ways in which methi can help us keep our hair healthy and control hair fall, it is time to use these gems of wisdom to our benefit. Let’s do our bit to care for our crown’s jewels which play an undeniable role in making us look attractive and beautiful. So time to get into the kitchen and gift ourselves great hair.SHARE THIS STORY ON FACEBOOK