Insomnia is a person’s inability to sleep or habitual sleeplessness. There are a number of causes of insomnia that include unhealthy sleeping habits, medical conditions, psychiatric abnormalities, use of some substances and certain biological factors. Several remedies such as physical activities, massages, following a sleep time all through the week can help insomnia but the role of melatonin has been significant.
Melatonin is naturally secreted by the pineal gland and controls the sleep cycle in the body. The secretion of melatonin is controlled by external light. The levels of melatonin are naturally controlled and during winter lesser levels of melatonin are produced leading to depression. Melatonin is commonly known as sleep hormone and is used to identify circadian or sleep rhythms in the body, Here we shall be seeing how melatonin supplementation can help people suffering from acute insomnia.
Does Melatonin Help Insomnia?
- When the patterns of bodily melanin production are disturbed, it leads to disturbed sleep cycle patterns.
- Melatonin can be taken externally in the form of tablets to balance sleep patterns. Darkness usually causes production of melatonin which sends signals from the brain to sleep.
- Melatonin supplements can be taken externally to cure insomnia caused by use of medications for high blood pressure, jet-lag, tumours, sunburn, and anxiety.
How to Use Melatonin for Insomnia:
- Melatonin supplements containing 3-5 mg of melatonin can be taken every day to be able to sleep peacefully.
- The tablets should be taken with a glass of water every night before going to sleep.
- Melatonin usually takes 20 minutes to set it, so it should be taken right before going to bed.
- Melatonin tablets induce sleep within 1 hour.
Tips and Precautions:
- Long-term use of melatonin usually does not have any side-effects when taken as supplements orally. However, care must be taken not to use melatonin during pregnancy and while breast-feeding. It also worsens conditions like bleeding, depression, diabetes, high blood pressure and is harmful for patients with seizures.
- In children, melatonin is considered safe when used once a day orally. Though it would be generally advisable not to let children use melatonin to induce sleep as it might lead to a possible future dependence.
- It is not considered safe when injected in the body.
- Melatonin is also said to have an effect on the production of other hormones in the body hence proper medical advice needs to be taken before consuming melatonin.
- Melatonin should never be taken during the day as it can have adverse effects on the body.
- The concentration of melatonin needs to be taken into account carefully. High doses of melatonin even can cause severe changes in the sleep cycle. Hence, it is advisable not to consume melatonin supplements without being prescribed by a doctor after examining the individual’s medical conditions and prescribed medicines.
- Melatonin is released in the blood stream hence it is not considered safe to use continuously.
Excessive consumption of melatonin can lead to severe medical complications.