Most people today who have problems with their eyesight would agree to the fact that they’d give anything to correct their vision naturally. Since the 1920s, there have been a number of self-help programs that focus on natural vision correction. These programs look to eliminate the need for artificial methods such as the usage of glasses or laser correction. Among the numerous natural corrective methods, none is more popular than the Bates method of natural vision improvement.
Vision Problems Caused By Eye Strain:
The two most common eyesight problems that you might encounter are as follows:
- Myopia, also known as near-sightedness, is commonly found among children and teenagers.
- Presbyopia, a type of farsightedness, requires one to wear reading glasses by middle age.
- These two conditions are found to be responsive to the Bates method of eyesight improvement.
What is Bates Method?
Conceived in 1920 by Dr. William Horatio Bates, an eminent ophthalmologist practicing in New York, the Bates’ method focuses on the external muscles that control the movement of the eyeball. He proposed that the external muscles controlling the movement of the lens in our eyes can be subjected to strain whenever we undergo stress. Such stress can occur due to emotional, physical or other such reasons. The resulting strain can essentially cause our eyeballs to contort and squeeze leading to blurry vision.
At this juncture, we can choose between artificial methods such as altering our focal length through LASIK (laser in-situ keratomileusis) surgery or by getting corrective lenses. On the other hand, we can find out the roots cause of our stress that is leading to such unmanageable levels of strain. This is when Dr. Bates’ method can prove to be really effective by putting us through a series of muscle relaxation techniques which in turn can aid in vision improvement.
How Does The Bates Method Work?
Basically, the strain in our eyes causes our eyeballs to contort. When your vision is blurry, you have 3 choices:
- Find the cause of stress and relax to get your vision back.
- Get corrective lenses, but it will create a permanent strain in your eyes.
- The third option is to get a LASIK surgery done. This will permanently fix the damage.
This technique requires you to relax and implement the following steps:
- Start by closing your eyes. Bring to mind a pleasant thought which will help you lower your stress level. This will allow your eyes muscles to relax.
- Rest your elbows on a flat surface and cover both your eyes with your palms. Take deep breathes while you relax.
- Uncover your eyes after about 2-3 minutes. Place some reading material in front of you and focus on a single letter on any line. Close your eyes again, and try to remember every detail of that letter. Open your eyes, and you should be able to see not only that letter, but also the letter beneath it.
- The Bates method is not a mere exercise, it is a mental approach to alter the focal length of your eyeballs by straining your eyes. The strain is the essence of this vision correction method.
- You must also know that your vision is not compromised because of weak eye muscles. Your eye muscles are strong enough, but they are too strained to focus properly. Hence, you must learn to relax them.
- Five to ten minutes of the Bates method every day will sharpen and improve your vision in no time!