Papaya which is scientifically known as ‘Carica Papaya’ is also known at some places by the names melon tree and papaw. It is a native tree of South America and it is said to grow up to a maximum of 20 feet in height. The papaya fruit is widely popular all over the world and grows in many countries now. Apart from the fruit, the leaves are also very rich in terms of medicinal benefits.
Table of Contents
- Nutritional Benefits of Papaya Leaves:
- Preparing Papaya Leaf Juice
- Benefits of Papaya Leaves:
- 1. Prevention of Cancer:
- 2. Dengue Cure:
- 3. Anti-bacterial:
- 4. Improved Sensitivity to Insulin:
- 5. Faster Healing of Wounds in Diabetes:
- 6. Relief From Stomach Problems:
- 7. Healing Gastric Ulcers:
- 8. Fighting The Malaria Virus:
- 9. Preventing Cold:
- 10. Preventing and Treating Acne:
- 11. Relieves Constipation:
- 12. Relief from Menstrual Pain:
- 13. Works as a Diuretic:
- 14. Prevention of Cataracts:
- 15. Healing Fatty Liver:
- 16. Preventing Allergies:
- 17. Treatment of Eczema:
- 18. As An Anti-dandruff:
- 19. Prevents Emphysema:
- 20. Improves Hair Health:
Nutritional Benefits of Papaya Leaves:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin E
Preparing Papaya Leaf Juice
- Take a few papaya leaves and wash them properly to remove any kind of harmful substances.
- In a pan, take 1.5-2 litres of water and put the leaves in it and allow them to boil. Do not put a lid on the pain and keep the flame at a low.
- Dry up half of the water and strain it.
- Cool down the juice and consume.
- Do not store without refrigeration and even with refrigeration, do not use it for more than 2-3 days.
Benefits of Papaya Leaves:
1. Prevention of Cancer:
It has been clinically proven that papaya leaf juice can help in the prevention of cancer. It also stops the tumors from growing by preventing the abnormal growth of cells.
2. Dengue Cure:
As per a research paper published in 2008 in the Sri Lankan Journal of Family Physicians, papaya leaf juice is known to contain papain and chymopapin enzymes which help in improving the platelet count, clotting and liver functioning and helps in recovery.
Papaya leaves prevent bacterial growth owing to 50 plus active ingredients such as Karpain, etc.
4. Improved Sensitivity to Insulin:
Diabetes patients suffering from type-2 diabetes have a problem of insulin sensitivity where the cells are not able to absorb the glucose. As per several studies papaya leaf juices has shown to be effective in lowering the glucose. They also decrease ALT and AST enzymes in the body.
5. Faster Healing of Wounds in Diabetes:
In case of people suffering from diabetes, the antioxidant and antibacterial action of papaya leaf juice help in enhancing the healing of wounds.
6. Relief From Stomach Problems:
The papaya leaf juice has enzymes called Karpain, papain, protease and amylase enzymes which are helpful in killing bacteria in the stomach and breaking down carbohydrates, proteins and prevent the occurrence of inflammation and acid reflux.
7. Healing Gastric Ulcers:
Papaya leaves have an anti-inflammatory nature and prevent inflammation in the lining of the stomach and help in curing gastric ulcers. They eliminate the harmful H. Pylori bacteria from the stomach and prevent several stomach problems.
8. Fighting The Malaria Virus:
In many countries, papaya leaf juice is used traditionally to prevent the onslaught of malaria owing to its prophylactic nature.
9. Preventing Cold:
Papaya leaf juice stimulates the regeneration of white blood cells (WBCs) and helps increase our immunity, especially against common cold.
10. Preventing and Treating Acne:
Acne are mostly caused by over-activeness of sebaceous glands and the clogging of skin pores. Papaya leaf juice when consumed regularly helps in keeping our skin clear by cleansing it. The karpain helps in prevention of infections and detoxifies the skin and ensure a skin free from acne, blemishes and even freckles.
11. Relieves Constipation:
Papaya leaf juice also helps in clearing the digestive tract by way of a laxative action. It aids in ensuring a clear and healthy digestive system.
12. Relief from Menstrual Pain:
The juice has been in use for ages for getting relief from the cramps and pain suffered during the menstrual cycle. For getting benefitted for this purpose, this should be used for 3-4 times a day.
13. Works as a Diuretic:
It has diuretic properties that help in the release of urine by the urinary bladder and the antioxidants present in it aid in the detoxification of our body, hence proving to be great in not just detoxification but also pursuits such as weight loss where it will also help in reducing the water retention by the body.
14. Prevention of Cataracts:
Papaya leaf juice is said to help in preventing the occurrence of cataracts. Hence, it is highly advisable to drink it regularly from later middle age to get away without suffering from cataract.
15. Healing Fatty Liver:
Being replete with anti-oxidants, papaya leaf juice is also known to be helpful in healing the problem of a fatty liver. This claim is supported by scientific studies and hence the patients of a fatty liver can drink papaya leaf juice to their benefit.
16. Preventing Allergies:
Studies have shown that papaya leaf juice also help in stimulating the generation of Th1 cytokines which prevent and cure some kinds of allergies.
17. Treatment of Eczema:
Rubbing papaya leaf juice on the affected areas is highly recommended in treating eczema. As a prerequisite make sure to scrub to affected skin before applying the juice.
18. As An Anti-dandruff:
It also forms a part of many herbal anti-dandruff shampoos and checks the development of flakes and dandruff. It also helps in treating dandruff if you already suffer from any.
19. Prevents Emphysema:
The richness of this juice is Vitamin D help in keeping the development of emphysema lungs in check.
20. Improves Hair Health:
Take some papaya leaf juice and mix it with a little honey and coconut milk, apply this concoction on hair as a conditioner to get hair with a dazzling shine.
- Sensitive people must avoid it as they could develop an allergic reaction.
- Pregnant or lactating women must avoid it as it has shown to be inducing miscarriages and could potentially be harmful for the fetus growing inside.
- Avoid consuming very high doses of this juice as it may prove to cause stomach irritation. In even higher doses it may also cause poisoning.
- 29 Surprising Benefits of Carrot Juice
- Face Mask for Acne
- 20 Benefits and Medicinal Uses of Guava Leaves You Never Knew