Scabies is caused by a microscopic mite that lives on the skin and causes infection. They reproduce, lay eggs and grow on the skin causing red itchy pimple-like patches on the skin surface. Scabies is contagious when not taken care of immediately and can cause infectious sores. Scabies can affect the face, head, neck, hands and foot in children and in adults rashes can appear on the wrist, elbow, armpit, nipple, penis, buttocks and waist.
Neem oil is a vegetable oil extracted from the seeds and fruits of the neem tree. Neem oil contains a number of components that attribute to its medicinal properties. The most studied derivatives of neem oil are azadirachtin and nimbin which are the two major compounds responsible for the anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-parasitic properties of neem oil that helps in treating Scabies.
Table of Contents
- Does Neem Oil Work for Scabies?
- How to Use Neem Oil For Scabies:
- Neem Oil:
- Neem Oil with Turmeric:
- Neem Oil with Liquid Soap:
- Tips and Precautions:
- Read Also:
- Oatmeal Bath Remedy for Hives
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Ringworm
- How to Use Baking Soda for Rashes
- How To Treat Keratosis Pilaris With Coconut Oil
- More from my site
Does Neem Oil Work for Scabies?
- The beneficial role of neem oil has already been proved in helping heal a number of skin infections and disorders.
- Neem oil is also effective in killing pests and mites making it an effective home-based remedy for scabies which is caused by mites.
- It is an excellent skin-exfoliant and helps in detoxification of skin.
- Its anti-inflammatory function helps us in recovering from a number of bacterial and fungal infections and it also has an anti-cancer effect.
How to Use Neem Oil For Scabies:
- Clean the affected area by rinsing it with soap water.
- Apply neem oil directly on the affected area.
- Leave it on for 8 hours so that the oil gets absorbed by the skin.
- Repeat this process on a daily basis till you recover from scabies.
Neem Oil with Turmeric:
- Neem oil should be mixed with turmeric to form a paste.
- This paste can be applied on the affected area after it is thoroughly cleaned.
- Leave this on for 30 minutes and then wash with water.
Neem Oil with Liquid Soap:
- A few drops of neem oil can be mixed with liquid soap.
- Use this soap every day to take bath.
- Use neem oil until the rashes start to disappear.
- This usage can also be continued for deriving further benefits of neem to ensure a healthy skin.
Tips and Precautions:
- Although safe, it is always recommended to check with the physician if neem oil does not lead to any remedial effect or causes any further itching on the scabies affected skin.
- Neem oil should not be used if you are suffering from any medical conditions such as migraine. If you are, it is highly advisable to consult your doctor before starting the home treatment.
- Keep all the linen, duvets and clothes clean to avoid any further mite infection. This is advisable to everyone regardless of whether they are suffering from scabies or not.
- Any products or clothing being used by the scabies patient should not be used or shared by other people.