The medical term for skin tags is acrochordon. It is a tiny benign that is out pouching from the skin that is again connected to the underlying skin through a tiny stock. They look like bits of pouches hanging from the skin. The root cause behind their occurrence is yet unknown. They tend to develop when blood vessels and collagen get trapped under folds of skin. These skin tags are quite harmless. There are several counter medications that are suggested by doctors for curing skin tags. They can also be surgically removed. You can however always fall back on home remedies to overcome the problem.(1)
Can Tea Tree oil Remove Skin Tags?
Tea tree oil is a colorless essential oil that is procured from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia or the tea tree that is native to Australia.(2)
- Tree tea oil is antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal in nature.
- It contains terpinen-4-ol, and cineol. It penetrates deep into the skin and helps to dry out the skin tags that have formed.
- Moreover it cleanses the skin of any impurities. It is used in various creams that are used for treating skin tags.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags
Here are some effective ways to use tea tree oil for skin tags removal. You must start your treatment before they become quite large or spread over a large area of your body.
1. Castor oil and Tea Tree oil for Skin Tags
- 3 to 4 drops of tea tree oil
- 1 teaspoon of castor oil
How to apply:
- Mix the two oils together(3)
- Wash the affected area
- Apply the mixture on the area.
- Repeat 4 times daily.
- Discontinue use in case of irritation.
- Consult a doctor
Benefit: Castor oil has emulsifying properties. It dries out the skin tags from within and does not leave any residue or scar mark.
[ Read: Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin Tag Removal ]
2. Tea Tree oil and Baking Soda for Skin Tags
- 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- ½ cup of water
- 1 cotton ball
- Tea tree oil
How to apply:
- Make a solution with baking soda and water
- Soak the cotton ball in it and squeeze out excess water.
- Pour 4 to 4 drops of oil on it
- Swipe the cotton ball on the skin tag.
- Hold it over your skin for 5 minutes.
- Wash off after 3 hours.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
- Discontinue use in case of skin irritation
- Consult a doctor
Benefit: Baking soda is a powerful astringent and exfoliating agent that removes the skin tag.
[ Read: Iodine for Skin Tags Removal ]
How Long Does Tea Tree oil Take to Work on Skin Tags?
It is very common among people to use tea tree oil in removing skin tags. It is however not a overnight miracle worker. It takes quite some time to cure the skin tags. It is generally after 3 weeks that you can start seeing the signs of improvement. Sometimes it is noticed only after 6 weeks. It has also been seen that tea tree oil does work on some people and the tags are not reduced. In such a case do not panic and consult a doctor. It can be removed through surgery.
[ Read: Vitamin E oil for Skin Tag Removal ]
Best Tea Tree Oil for Skin Tags
There are various varieties of tea tree oil available in the market. According to the 2017 survey Hollywood Beauty tea tree oil is the best followed by Body Wonders. You must consult your doctor before you start using the oil.
These are some of the common methods of fighting skin tags using tea tree oil. It is important to see that you are not allergic to tea tree oil. In such a case discontinue use. In case you have an injury near the skin tag you must wait for the injury to heal before applying tree tea oil.
If you notice that your skin tag is not healing at all then you must consult a doctor at once as it can be an indication of some other disease.
Best Skin Tag Removers You Can Use Easily At Home
Compound W Freeze Off Remover – Buy on Amazon
|Best Lightweight Design|
Skin Clinic FREEZE ‘n CLEAR Advanced Wart Remover – Buy on Amazon
|Best Pain-Free Removal|
Dr. Scholl’s Liquid Wart Remover – Buy on Amazon
|Best Natural Formula|
Boiron Thuja Occidentalis Wart Removal Medicine – Buy on Amazon
|Best Chemical-Free Formula|
Forces Of Nature Organic Wart Remover – Buy on Amazon
- Human papillomavirus and skin tags: is there any association?- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18583787/
- Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia)-An Efficient Treatment for Warts: Two Case Reports- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/313333903_Tea_Tree_Oil_Melaleuca_alternifolia-An_Efficient_Treatment_for_Warts_Two_Case_Reports
- Castor oil (Ricinus communis): a review on the chemical composition and physicochemical properties- https://www.scielo.br/j/cta/a/jtzR5bpyvr9Fm6WYDrRqt7t/
You Might Also Like: