Cod liver oil as the name goes is obtained from cod liver. It is packed with essential vitamins nutrients. It is regarded as a rich source of fatty acids. It is however always more beneficial to consume the fish itself instead of going for the manufactured product. It is very beneficial for cardiovascular, hormonal, immune, reproductive and neurological health. It is considered that a tablespoon of cod liver oil contains 45 calories and 5 grams of fat. A large number of people consume it regularly as a diet supplement. However, certain side effects have been associated with it. cod liver oil side effects are discussed here in the following article.
Table of Contents
- 7 Unknown Cod Liver oil Side Effects:
- 1.Increase Risks of Bleeding:
- 2. Not Suitable for People with Heart Diseases:
- 3. Susceptibility to Toxins:
- 4. Reduction in Blood Pressure:
- 5. Upset Stomach:
- 6. Allergic Reaction:
- 7. Increase in Cholesterol and Blood Sugar:
- Read Also:
- Coconut Oil Side Effects
- Harmful Effects of Tea Tree oil
- Negative Effects of Castor oil
- More from my site
7 Unknown Cod Liver oil Side Effects:
1.Increase Risks of Bleeding:
- This is perhaps the most common side effect of consuming cod liver oil. It acts as a blood thinner. So you are susceptible to bleeding as your blood will not clot easily. You are at a risk of haemorrhage.
2. Not Suitable for People with Heart Diseases:
- Large intake of cod liver oil will lead to heart failure, blood in the urine, nosebleed. Consult your doctor about the dosage and do not consume at your own discretion.
3. Susceptibility to Toxins:
- If you are consuming the fish in large quantities, instead of the supplements, then you are susceptible to this situation. Methylmercury, PCBs and dioxin are the common toxins that you will be riddled with. Babies are more prone to the toxins, so, it is advisable to tone down the fish intake and consult your paediatrician first.
[ Read: Fish Oil Side Effects ]
4. Reduction in Blood Pressure:
- The oil is overflowing with Omega 3 fatty acids, so prolonged intake of it is sure to reduce your blood pressure. If you are already taking medicines for blood pressure, consult your doctor first if you do not want to face the problem related to reduced pressure conditions.
5. Upset Stomach:
- This symptom varies from person to person. Some are riddled with diarrhoea; others have symptoms like heartburn, bad breath, fishy aftertaste, burping, stomach pain and bloating, acid reflux, indigestion. The symptoms generally get worse if you do not check your consumption. You should take it in small amounts and supplement it with other meals and nutrients to get a balanced diet.
6. Allergic Reaction:
- This is a side effect quite a number of persons face. Difficulty breathing, swelling of the throat, skin rashes, itching, hives, and swelling are some of the common conditions that are associated with cod liver oil consumption.
[ Read: Side Effects of Oregano Oil ]
7. Increase in Cholesterol and Blood Sugar:
- This is a very common occurrence that is associated with cod liver oil consumption. Your sugar levels will tend to fall slightly. Unless you are consuming large doses of the oil, the changes in sugar levels will be nothing severe. In case of cholesterol levels, you will notice a 5% to 10% of an increase in the levels of bad cholesterol. Consult your doctor to be sure.
These are some of the common problems that are related to consumption of cod liver oil. It is always the best for your health to consult your physician for the best advice about your medication. Anything in excess can be harmful, hence we suggest a proper insight of your health is procured before consumption of any product.