Ginger has been used over the years to soothe the stomach during a diarrhea episode. Normally, diarrhea will not last for a long time but the patient will lose a lot of fluid and will need ginger tea to warm their stomach to recover swiftly and be more comfortable. A home remedy can be used for a quick recovery and this piece explains to use ginger for diarrhea.
Table of Contents
Causes of Diarrhea:
Diarrhea is a symptom of a bowel infection that causes loose stool due to the extra fluid secreted in the bowel. This can be very uncomfortable and you will have to use the loo very frequently, leaving you dehydrated and extremely weak. Causes of diarrhea include:
- A virus
- Food allergy
- Too much intake of alcohol
- Feelings of anxiety
- Damaged lining of the intestines resulting from radiotherapy
What Does Ginger ale do for Diarrhea?
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties that help in soothing a disturbed stomach. It also helps replace the lost fluid and helps to keep the patient hydrated after going through such disturbing episode.
How to Use Ginger for Diarrhea:
Ginger can be used in diverse ways to treat diarrhea. It can be chewed naturally, grated and mixed with warm water, taken as a tablet or as a powder. Whichever way you choose to use ginger to soothe your stomach, ensure not to exceed four grams of ginger per day. An overdose of ginger can lead to certain health conditions.
1. Ginger Tea for Diarrhea:
Ginger tea is a home remedy that helps to relieve stomach upsets, indigestion, and bloating to make you feel better from diarrhea.
- 1 root of ginger
- 1 cup of water
- Two slices of fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon of honey
How to do:
- Chop or grate one root of ginger
- Boil a cup of water and add the grated or chopped ginger. Allow simmering for 5 minutes.
- Allow blending with hot water for 10 minutes before draining.
- Add two slices of fresh lemon and 1 teaspoon of raw honey to the ginger tea.
- Drink tea to soothe your stomach and eliminate diarrhea.
Ginger root can be substituted with the powdered form or tea bags- either way, follow the same procedure for the same result. This tea should be taken three to four times daily as a home remedy.
2. Ginger ale for Diarrhea:
- The sugar and carbonation of the soda beverage in ginger ale are known to alleviate nausea and other stomach problems.
- As the ginger ale is consumed, the air bubbles stir an alleviating effect that relieves the patient from diarrhea.
- However, the carbonated drink is not ideal for patients who have symptoms of bloating and excess gas as this may worsen their current situation.
- For best results, MedlinePlus recommends trying ginger ale products that are produced with natural brands and avoid those that contain caffeine and artificial sweeteners.
3. Honey and Ginger for Diarrhea:
Honey contains antimicrobial properties that help eliminate the germs that cause a digestive disorder. So, adding honey is not just for the taste, it plays a major role to soothe stomach disorder.
- 1 root of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
How to do::
- Grate or chop the root of ginger.
- Mix ginger with raw honey and stir the combination and consume to clear diarrhea and improve digestion.
- For dry ginger powder, mix with honey and continue to stir until it forms a fine paste.
Consume for three days as your natural medication.
[ Read: Does Yogurt Help for Diarrhea ]
Precaution & Warning against Overdose:
According to a report by University of Maryland Medical Center, in as much as ginger is enriched with health benefits to help soothe stubborn stomach problems, there is a limit to what a patient should consume to avoid health hazards such as:
- mouth irritation
- bloating and gas
- lower blood sugar level
- minor sedation
- bleeding (for those with the bleeding disorder)
- intestinal blockage (due to inadequate chewing)
This home remedy should not be administered to children and infants below two years of age without consulting the pediatrician. Also, MedlinePlus warns that patients with a history of ulcer and inflammatory diseases should not eat large quantities of ginger.
Stomach upsets can be very disturbing and sadly, everyone is likely to be a victim at least once throughout their lifetime and this is why a home remedy is always recommended because loose stools do not always last for such a long period but can be nightmarish. Learning how to use ginger for diarrhea is a recipe that must be learned for emergency situations.