The buildup of gas in the intestines causes a feeling called ‘bloating’. This condition is mainly caused by peptic ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, overeating, water retention and constipation. Bloating makes you feel full and tight around the abdomen and is a condition coupled with great discomfort. The trapped air inside the abdomen can only be released by passing enough stomach gas and by healthy bowel movements.
Bloating not only makes you feel satiated but also causes breathlessness, cramps and diarrhea. Using chemical drugs for treatment of bloating is not a wise idea since there may occur further side effects of complications. Hence, it is better to opt for options other than pharmaceuticals and heavy drugs. Baking soda is an amazing substance when it comes to get rid of bloating.
Table of Contents
- Is Baking Soda Good for Bloating?
- How to use Baking Soda for Bloating:
- 1. Baking Soda and Water for Bloating:
- 2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda for Bloating:
- 3. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice for Bloating:
- Read Also:
- Peppermint Tea for Stomach Bloating
- How to Use Baking Soda for Acid Reflux
- More from my site
Is Baking Soda Good for Bloating?
Sodium bicarbonate, or better known as baking soda, is one of the best home remedies to counter bloating and its effects.
- The high acidity content in the stomach is cut down due to the antacid property of baking soda.
- The excess hydrochloric acid in the stomach is broken down by the baking soda to form sodium chloride, salt and water which, in turn, reduces bloating.
- The antacid and alkalinity of baking soda is released when it mixes with water.
- The antiseptic nature causes relief to the intestinal and abdominal lining thereby curing bloating to a considerable extent.
- It also clears the stomach gas and aids in digestion.
- Smoking and trapped air are also few of the reasons which lead to bloating, and using baking soda is the best option to treat them well.
How to use Baking Soda for Bloating:
Baking soda, as mentioned above, is one of the best alternatives to tackle an upset stomach. It can be consumed with lukewarm water, lemon, and even Apple Cider Vinegar. It has many different beneficial properties, which when combined with the benefits of other substances, increase two fold. It is the safest and the most convenient of treatments to help with proper digestion and reduce the effects of bloating.
1. Baking Soda and Water for Bloating:
- Baking soda
- Lukewarm water
Having talked about the magical benefits of baking soda, here’s how you can improve your bloating condition by drinking baking soda
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 glass of lukewarm water
- Stir well to control the fizz and mix it thoroughly
- Drink it slowly with regular sips to neutralise the acidity in your stomach
Drink once a day or as needed. This provides instant relief and can be used whenever you feel cramps coming up in your abdomen due to accumulating gas. It is a quick and effective way to get rid of bloating.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda for Bloating:
- Baking soda
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Including apple Cider Vinegar in the diet is a good idea for someone who occasionally feels bloated. It has amazing healing and comforting properties which can help cure bloating effectively.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to 1 glass of water
- To this mixture, add 2 tablespoons of apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix well and thoroughly, and keep stirring till the fizz is under control
- Drink the entire glass of the mixture to help with an upset stomach
Repetition: For better and apparent results, consume this mixture twice a day. Seek medical aid if bloating persists.
3. Baking Soda and Lemon Juice for Bloating:
- Baking soda
- Lemon juice
- Add lemon juice of one full lemon to half a glass of plain water
- To this mixture, add 1 teaspoon of baking soda. Mix well.
- Keep mixing the fizz continuously and add more water if required. Stir until there is no more fizzing.
- Intake this mixture slowly with gradual sips.
Repetition: Repeat every time there is bloating, or abdominal pain or stomach gas.
Benefit: This mixture works wonders for instant relief when the pain is getting too discomforting.
The procedure is simple and handy, and can be prepared anywhere at anytime. This also causes the stomach gas to become less intense and neutralizes it.
Though baking soda is the best remedy for bloating, there are some precautions which need to be taken. Sodium bicarbonate is rich in sodium, and hence should be avoided for a person who is expected to be on a low sodium diet. Patients with hypertension should take care not to over use baking soda to treat bloating. Avoiding overeating, keeping yourself hydrated and exercising regularly are some of the ways which can help prevent bloating and indigestion in the first place.
Persistent and chronic bloating may mean other complications like celiac disease. Therefore, in such a condition, it is necessary to seek medical aid than to continue using baking soda. Medical consultation is recommended for children and pregnant women in order to drink a baking soda mixture. Overuse of baking soda is not advised but occasional bloating can very well be treated with baking soda.