The stomach contains acid which if moves up into the esophagus can cause symptoms such as a burning sensation and pain in the lower chest, or a heartburn. This condition is called acid reflux and it increases by the consumption of citrus fruits, tea and coffee, soda, alcohol, and fatty and spicy foods. Though a number of antacids and other medicines are available to treat this condition, one of the easiest ways to temporarily relieve the symptoms of acid reflux is by the use of baking soda. In this article we are explain some effective ways to use baking soda for acid reflux relief.
Does Baking Soda Help Relieve Acid Reflux?
If acid reflux happens very frequently, and if it is left untreated, it can result in a condition called Barrett’s esophagus. It can even lead to cancer. Therefore, it is very important to get rid of acid reflux in its preliminary stage.
- It generally comes in powder form and is mixed with water to form a solution that works as an antacid.
- It temporarily relieves the symptoms of acid reflux by neutralizing the acidic contents of the stomach.
- Since it is an alkaline substance, when it mixes with the stomach acid, it mitigates the pH level of the acid and restores the acid-alkaline balance in the stomach, and thus provides relief from acid reflux.
How to Use Baking Soda for Acid Reflux:
Many over-the-counter and prescription antacids are available that can reduce the acid and relieve the symptoms of acid reflux. However, if symptoms happen all of a sudden and these medications are not within one’s reach, baking soda may come handy as a natural remedy and provide the same cure.
Baking Soda and Water for Acid Reflux
Though this concoction might taste terrible, but it does wonders to cure the symptoms of acid reflux like heatburn and indigestion.
- People in the age group of 5 – 60 years: take 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass half-filled with water. Mix it thoroughly. For instant relief, in a 24-hour period, you need to drink it every two-hours.
- People over the age of 60 years: Use the same mixture as mentioned above but ensure to drink it at least thrice in a 24-hours period.
Note: This concoction might increase blood pressure, nausea, and swelling. It is recommended for children older than five years of age.
Baking Soda and Apple Cider Vinegar for Acid Reflux
Baking soda with apple cider vinegar is a popular remedy used to fix acid reflux. It has a sour taste. Hence, it is recommended to drink it all at once.
- one-fourth teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 200 ml of water
How to Prepare:
- Add both the ingredients in the water and stir till the baking soda dissolves completely and the mixture is clean and looks soluble.
- Over a period of five days, consume this drink at least 2-3 times in a day on an empty stomach.
- This will gradually reduce the acid reflux.
Note: Apple cider vinegar can result in erosion of tooth enamel so keep a straw handy.
Baking Soda and Honey for Acid Reflux
This is another homemade remedy which can relieve you of the symptoms of acid reflux in minutes.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of organic and unrefined honey
How to Prepare:
- Take 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and organic and unrefined honey.
- Add them to a glass of lukewarm water.
- Stir well until the ingredients until completely dissolved.
- Drink the solution whenever you have acid reflux.
Best Time to Drink: Drink this solution before you are off to sleep as it can reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.
Benefit: Honey being rich in potassium can be added as part of your diet to take care of your acid reflux problem.
Baking Soda and Lemon for Acid Reflux
- cup of warm water
- one-fourth teaspoon of baking soda
- one tablespoon of lime juice
How to do:
- Take a cup of warm water, add one-fourth teaspoon of baking soda and one tablespoon of lime juice.
- Now gently keep adding the soda until the fizzing stops.
- Regular consumption of this mixture will gradually reduce the acid reflux.
Benefit: Baking soda with lemon is a fantastic remedy to reduce the heat burn caused by acid reflux. It aids in neutralizing the acids in the duodenum.
Note: Ensure to drink it only through a straw as it can corrode your teeth.
[ Read: How to Treat Acid Reflux with Aloe Vera ]
Tips and Precautions
Though the use of baking soda with water, lime juice, honey and apple cider vinegar are wonderful tricks to get relief from the symptoms of acid reflux, one must be aware that these fixes are temporary. These remedies do not cure acid reflux completely. Here are a few tips and precautions which must be kept in mind while consuming baking soda with the above ingredients.
- The use of baking soda for a prolonged period can have unwanted side effects, the most common being gas and burping.
- Baking soda also has a high sodium content, so it should be avoided by people on a low-sodium diet.
- Rare cases of stomach rupture have been reported when baking soda is consumed after a large meal. Because of such potential side effects, one should consult a doctor before making use of baking soda as an antacid.
- In addition, anyone suffering from severe or frequent acid reflux symptoms should consult a doctor for proper treatment instead of relying on temporary remedies.