Heartburn also referred to as acid reflux is a burning sensation in the stomach or chest that leads to chronic coughing and burning feeling the gastro-intestinal tract including the throat. It is usually caused by certain types of food, changes in diet and certain medications. The main reason is the time taken by the body to adjust the production of gastric acid in the gastrointestinal tract or the inability to be able to secrete enough digestive juices as to digest the whole food we consume. Although there are antacids (both liquid and capsules) available, naturally available options for heartburn should be preferred as they would not be as harmful in the long run. Have a look to learn how to use apple cider vinegar for heartburn relief at home.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work for Heartburn?
- Apple cider vinegar helps slightly increase the acid content in the stomach and helps cure heartburn.
- The presence of acetic acid in apple cider vinegar leads to acid reflux in the stomach which in turn cures heartburn caused due to lack of gastric acid.
- It is said that apple cider vinegar causes minimal risk when used to treat heartburn when compared to other medications.
- The way it acts is by helping neutralize the pH balance in the stomach.
- Apple cider vinegar is a fermented product similar to vinegar, rich in acetic acid.
- It also contains some vitamins and minerals like vitamin B1, B2, B6 and C and both acetic acid and malic acid that enhance anti-microbial activity and highly beneficial for health.
- This makes this product highly beneficial in treating heartburn.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Heartburn Recipe:
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar can be taken directly but due to the high content of acetic acid, it may be unpleasant for the taste buds.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Warm Water for Heartburn:
- one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- one cup of warm water
How to do:
- Take apple cider vinegar and warm water
- mix well
- Drink it before/after a meal depending on the requirement.
[ Read: How to Use Mustard for Heartburn ]
3. Apple Cider Vinegar and Honey for Heartburn:
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- glass of warm water
How to Prepare:
- Take apple cider vinegar and honey then mixed in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this every time there is discomfort or pain caused by heartburn.
- This should relieve the discomfort caused by heartburn.
Tips and Precautions:
- Some of the side-effects related to the intake of apple cider vinegar are tooth erosion, decreased potassium, thinning of blood and irritation in the throat. So, it is advisable to use apple cider vinegar as a remedy only and not as a habit.
- Apple cider vinegar should not be mixed with or taken with taking any other medication prescribed for stomach pain and/or indigestion.
- Being a naturally available product, apple cider vinegar is safe to use and has been indicated to help relieve pain caused by heartburn. However, the concentration and strength of apple cider vinegar must be taken into consideration while using it for the same.
- If ACV causes any skin rash or other allergies, one should stop the intake immediately and visit the doctor at the earliest.