Gas is an unpleasant experience for anyone and is often caused due to indigestion and stomach ulcers. It is caused by the overproduction of acids in the gastrointestinal tract due to intake of certain foods. Gas is usually characterized by bloating of the stomach, burning sensation and burping. There are a number of antacids available that cure gas but homemade recipes are a proven way to fight it without ingesting harmful chemicals. Here are some effective ways to use activated charcoal for gas relief.
Does Activated Charcoal Help With Gas?
Food grade activated charcoal is available for treating flatulence.
- The main property of activated charcoal is its ability to adsorb (not absorb) which means that it can bind to the compounds and not release them, hence detoxifying and providing relief.
- It also helps with several digestive problems such as indigestion, constipation, etc.
- It debloats by binding to gases and killing parasites such as Candida.
- It helps in adsorbing excess gas produced in the stomach. Activated carbon is electrostatically attracted to most compounds that are harmful for the human body.
- It attracts bacteria, viruses, excess toxins, gases that cause flatulence, etc.
- Activated charcoal not only removes excess gas but if taken before a meal, it can also help in reducing the amount of gas released by food substances.
How to Use Activated Charcoal for Gas
Activated charcoal or activated carbon is a chemical compound that is activated by passing it through small pores to increase its surface area. It also has several medical applications and curing the problem of gas is one of them. It is also available as an over-the-counter medicine for the treatment of diarrhea, indigestion and flatulence.
1. Activated Charcoal and Water for Gas
- 500 milligrams of activated charcoal tablets
- 1 glass of water
How to take:
- Activated charcoal whether taken in the form of a capsule or powder should always be taken along with water.
- Take 500 milligrams of activated charcoal tablets with a glass of water before taking a meal. Water helps in easing the movement of the charcoal powder.
- Drink another glass of water to help the activated charcoal pass easily through the gastrointestinal tract.
- Hydration is anyways necessary and in this case quintessential to facilitate the movement of activated charcoal through our digestive tract harmlessly.
Repetitions: This can also be taken every one hour prior to avoid any problems such as accumulation of gas.
[ Read: How to Use Baking Soda for Gas ]
Tips and Precautions:
Since activated charcoal is a chemical component, it should be used with a lot of care. Some of the guidelines to be followed when using activated charcoal are
- Take it at least 3 hours before bedtime. Digestion slows down while sleeping and it is undesirable to have a foreign substance in the digestive system that hasn’t been properly digested before we sleep.
- Do not mix and use it with other supplements. If you are taking any other supplements or medicines it is highly advisable that you consult your doctor before using this remedy as self-medication is no cure.
- Depending on the need there are various concentrations of activated charcoal tablets that can be used to treat gas problems. It would be advisable to start with the lower concentrations so that it does not result in unwanted complications.
- It should not be used for treating children below 3 years of age.
You Might Also Like: