Activated carbon, also popular in the industry as activated charcoal, is actually a variety of carbon which is specially processed for formation of small and low-volume pores which supports in increasing of surface area which is available for making adsorption or any chemical reactions. Besides advantages there are some Side effects of activated charcoal. But first let us learn where the application of activated charcoal can be found.
Take a Note of the Below Points to know How it Can be Beneficial for us:
- Helps in teeth whitening
- Supports in controlling Gas & Bloating
- Treating Poisoning caused by Alcohol & Prevents Hangovers
- Supports in Water Filtration
- Go for making Emergency Toxin Removal
- Controls High Cholesterol
- Excellent in digestive cleaning
- Anti-Aging treatment
Is it Safe to Take Activated Charcoal?
Experts say we should not use activated charcoal as a supplement in case you are having these medicines as it will control the absorption of these drugs.
- Tricyclic antidepressants
Activated charcoal is always considered safe for use by adults when same is used for short-term.
Top 5 Activated Charcoal Side Effects
Side effects are found more in people when they use activated charcoal on long-term basis for treating some health conditions like excess gas. When activated charcoal is taken orally you can face the following side effects.
1. Black Stools
Charcoal is not digested by human body nor it gets absorbed by gastro-intestinal tract. So taking activated charcoal orally will make the stool turn black in a natural way. There is nothing to worry much and ensure you take enough fluid in form of water, health drink or even juice to keep your body hydrated(1)
2. Vomiting or Diarrhea
Many people complain of Vomiting and diarrhea when they use activated charcoal. Keep on taking huge amount of fluid to avoid dehydration and if still problem continue meet your doctor.(2)
This is another common side effect which you can have if you are taking activated charcoal as it absorbs nutrients and fluids of body. So here also you need to keep your body hydrated by taking good amount of water, juice and other glucose drinks to maintain the body fluid balance.(3)
4. Blockage in the Stomach or Intestines
This is a serious issue which few people may face when they use charcoal on regular basis. Do not try any home remedy and move to your doctor to take charge of the condition and treat you.
Besides offering certain advantages it also has some side effects among which some are manageable and few are serious. It will be advisable for you to consult your doctor before making any use of charcoal internally for treating or managing some health condition. Activated charcoal is one of the specially manufactured products and you will not find it in any foods naturally.(4)
[ Read: Damaging Effects of Too Much Sugar ]
5. Black Tongue
Similarly, like the above side effect die to oral intake of charcoal the tongue turns black. Regular cleaning of the tongue will keep you same from black tongue problem caused by Charcoal.
- MEDICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL APPLICATIONS OF ACTIVATED CHARCOAL- https://eujournal.org/index.php/esj/article/view/4987
- Charcoal, Activated (Oral Route)-https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/charcoal-activated-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20070087#:~:text=Activated%20charcoal%20will%20cause%20your,effects%2C%20check%20with%20your%20doctor
- Activated Charcoal- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK482294/
You Might Also Like:
- Harmful Side Effects Of Aspirin You Must Be Aware Of
- Side Effects of Too Much Apple Cider Vinegar
- What Are The Side Effects Of Baking Soda