The evening primrose oil is from the seed of the evening primrose plant. It is high in polyunsaturated fatty acids and specifically gamma-linoleic acid which is considered to be the main ingredient of the evening primrose oil. Let us read to know some harmful evening primrose oil side effects.
Evening Primrose Oil Side Effects:
This oil uses in several major diseases like eczema, psoriasis, multiple syndrome, heart disease, dyspraxia etc.
1. Minor Side Effects:
- The minor side effects of evening primrose oil are nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, headache may be seen.
- The stomach pain and loose stools can be seen if the intake dosage is high.
- It is usually safe when used up to a year but these minor side effects may be seen.
- It can increase the chances of seizure in people with seizure disorders undergoing anesthesia.
- This has to be stopped 2 weeks prior if undergoing surgery.
- The GLA supplements increases the chance of having seizures in people suffering with seizure disorders.
[ Read: Cod Liver oil Side Effects ]
3. Increased Bleeding:
- There is a higher risk of bleeding in patients who are taking blood thinners and to be used with caution.
4. Allergic Reactions:
- There are chances of allergic reactions to evening primrose oil in the form of rashes, facial or mouth swelling, difficulty in breathing.
- This is a medical emergency and to be treated immediately. Skin irritation may be seen when applied topically.
Though there are many uses of evening primrose oil, it has to be discussed with health care provider before using it. The evening primrose oil has to be taken with precaution in pregnancy, as this may lead to bleeding disorders in child after delivery. The usage of evening primrose oil in pregnancy is not supported with evidence and hence to be avoided as it may lead to complications. In the presence of bleeding disorders, epilepsy, schizophrenia, it is better to avoid evening primrose oil, so no complications occur in these conditions.