A hangover is a combination of pains, nausea, headaches, and unconsciousness that happens after an overdose of alcohol. There are many natural ways to cure and prevent these discomforts from happening. Milk thistle is a natural home remedy that alleviates the discomfort of a hangover we tend to regret the next day. Here we explain in detail how to take milk thistle for hangover prevention.
Does Milk Thistle Work for Hangovers?
Milk thistle is a restorative extract that, when consumed, detoxifies the body immediately. It is popularly known to cure hangovers since its main ingredient—the milk thistle seed—is known to bring positive effects on the liver and the gallbladder.
How to Use Milk Thistle for Hangover:
There a few ways of consuming milk-thistle. It is available at drug stores in many ready-made forms, and it can also be made at home. Here is a step-by-step method to make the best and the most effective milk thistle to prevent your hangover:
- Milk thistle seeds
- 100 proof alcohol
Preparation Time: 3-5 Weeks.
- Blend ½ a cup of milk-thistle seeds in an herb grinder or mixer.
- Pour this blend into a canned jar.
- Add 1 cup of a 100 proof alcohol into the jar.
- Mix it with 1 cup of water and stir thoroughly.
- Enclose the lid of the jar tightly and place the jar in a cool and dark place.
- Leave it for 3-5 weeks.
- In a separate jar, combine 1 cup of a 100 proof alcohol with 1 cup of water.
- Enclose the lid of this jar and keep it on the side for later use.
- After waiting 3-5 weeks, open the first jar and pour its mixture on a strainer and collect the thistle seed extracts.
- Store this extract in a sealed container.
How it works: The milk-thistle seeds contain high concentrations of compounds and antioxidants that reduce liver damage.
Repetitions: 150 Milligrams, three times a day.
Best time to take: Consuming milk-thistle on an empty stomach, at least 15 minutes before meals, does the work much faster and better. For a person who has a very sensitive liver, it is a better idea to take it after meals.
- Buy the 100 proof alcohols from certified drug stores and ask the pharmacist for the best brand.
- Mix the extract in your tea to cover the concentrated taste.
- During the 3-5 weeks period, shake the jar once every day to saturate the ingredients.
Milk thistle is an active ingredient in treating hangovers and it preserves your liver’s long-term health.