Yogurt is made by fermenting the milk, so some people think that there’s nothing bad about eating spoiled yogurt since it already contains bacteria. While this is not true. One should not eat yogurt if it has been expired. It may cause food poisoning which sometimes becomes fatal. Read further to know what happens if you eat expired yogurt.
Table of Contents
What Happens If You Eat Expired Yogurt:
1. Stomach Cramps:
- The first symptom of a food borne illness is stomach cramps. Stomach cramps can be developed if we eat expired food such as expired yogurt.
- The stomach notifies you when things are not quite right by developing cramps, burp, and rumble. Cramping can be painful and intolerable if it is caused by expired food.
- However, the cramping can become painful and even intolerable when caused by spoiled yogurt. If you feel such severe cramping, consult a doctor.
- Expired yogurt can cause diarrhea ranging from mild to severe. It is a common symptom that occurs after you ingest expired yogurt because the body tries to rid itself of harmful toxins provided by the yogurt.
- It can occur almost immediately after eating expired yogurt. Consult a doctor if the problem persists after twelve hours as it can become very dangerous and can even be fatal.
[ Read: How to Treat Diarrhea with Yogurt ]
- Along with experiencing stomach cramps and diarrhea, the affected person also suffers vomiting as our body tries its best to expel the bad food from it.
- Vomiting brings little changes such as rapid temperature changes and increased salivation in the mouth.
- Extensive vomiting can become harmful and lead to electrolyte imbalances, dehydration, weakness, and fatigue. If vomiting doesn’t go after 48 hours, seek your physician’s consultation.
How Do You Know If a Yogurt has Gone Bad?
- The first sign you should see to check if a yogurt has gone bad is mold. Also, if you see any liquid in the container that it doesn’t usually have, then it’s gone bad.
- If you do not find any liquid or mold in the container, take a whiff, if it smells sour, throw your yogurt.
To ensure safety, remember to check the expiration date on the packaging of yogurt and do not consume it if the expiration date has been exceeded. To prevent spoilage, always keep yogurt in the refrigerator. If you accidentally eat expired yogurt and you experience symptoms mentioned above, drink plenty of water and other hydrating fluids to keep yourself hydrated.
- What Happens If You Drink Water with Baking Soda
- How to Take Yogurt for Weight Loss
- How to Use Yogurt for Yeast Infection