Menstruation is one of the natural phenomenons which is experienced by every girl or a woman and is a sign of ability of reproduction and fertility. The periods, as it is commonly called occur after every 28 days and therefore it is also known as menstrual cycle. Hence, it is very essential that this cycle goes on in a right manner and no complications should be there. Clot formation is a natural defense mechanism of our body especially in cases of wounds or braises.
They are responsible for stoppage of bleeding. But if they occur more frequently and appears to be of bigger size, then it can lead to problematic situation such as clotting during menstruation causes various menstrual problems and hence these are needed to be taken care of. In the later sections, we will see the details regarding this problem and how can we cure it.
What Do Big Blood Clots in Period Mean?
The occurrence of big blood clots during menstruation can be due to a lot many reasons. Some of these reasons are explained below:
1. Pregnancy and Hormonal Changes
if the hormonal changes are acute, then it is likely that a woman will experience unusual clotting. But it can be cured and then leads to normal periods. The chronic hormonal changes such as menopausal changes, chronic illness or major weight gain or weight loss can lead to more adverse changing patterns of blood clotting.
These are the small or you can say benign growth of muscles that requires space around the uterine muscles and therefore, interferes with the ability of the muscle to contract. This in turn leads to the heavy blood clotting.
It is a condition which occurs when the muscle fibers of the uterine wall are unable to contract efficiently.
4. Large Uterus
The uterus can grow in size after multiple births. if the size of the uterus increases, then the amount of blood flow increases due to which clotting is more likely to occur and big clots can be formed.
There can be many more reasons for the occurrence of big clots but whatever the reason may be, one should always concern the doctor.
What Causes Blood Clot in Periods?
- During menstruation blood is released from the vagina and the body in turn releases some chemicals called anticoagulants so as to prevent blood clotting.
- In women or girls who experience heavy menstrual bleeding, these anticoagulants aren’t able to function properly as they get less time for performing their function and hence the chances of blood clotting increases.
- Due to the heavy bleeding, large blood clot formation takes place. It is necessary to stop the formation of blood clots as it can cause further complications.
Signs and Symptoms
- One of the main signs of having a large blood clot is heavy bleeding during menstruation. Heavy bleeding is also known as menorrhagia. If you have to change your sanitary napkins once after every 1-2 hours, then it is a clear indication that you are experiencing heavy bleeding. Blood clots are filled with blood but their texture is different. Blood clots appear to as jelly like substance.
- The length of your periods is one of the clear signs if you are likely to have larger blood clots. Normally, the periods lasts for 3-5 days, though the length may vary from 2-7 days also. But in case your periods last longer than this normal range, lets suppose 10 days, then you should be concerned.
- Cramps are another symptom of heavy menstrual bleeding. Usually, the woman experiences cramps during periods. But heavy cramps occur due to heavy bleeding.
- Anemia is another sign of experiencing a blood clot. It is a condition in which there is deficiency of iron or any other nutrient in the body of an organism. But since we are talking about menstruation problems, here iron seems to play a role. It largely occurs in those women who lose a large amount of blood. The major symptoms of being an anemic patient are feeling tired, weak, low on energy and lethargic.
How to Get Rid of Blood Clots During Period
The big blood clots can be treated naturally in an effective manner by the uptake of the following substances:
It prevents anemia which is one of the causes of big blood clots.
Celery has proven to be very beneficial vegetable as it reduces the muscle cramps and pain during menstruation and enhances the functioning of female reproductive structure.
3. Lean beef
It is responsible for the maintenance of functioning of the uterine muscles and also, maintaining the levels of iron in the blood which indirectly prevent anemia and also, it prevent blood clotting.
It also helps in alleviating heavy menstrual bleeding and thus prevent the formation of big clots.
It is a natural anticoagulant. Also, It is a natural painkiller which helps in reducing pain during menstruation.
Is it Normal to Have Blood Clots in Your Periods?
In menstruation or in periods, it is normal to have blood clots. The major cause of concern is when you get a blood clot bigger than the quarter size. In that case, you should immediately concern a health practitioner. The blood clots usually carry a part of the tissue with itself. As the endometrial lining of the uterus sheds away, the tissue gets released from the body and appears on your underpants. There are different factors that will predict if you have a blood clot or are more likely to experience it. Some of them are the size of your uterus, the ability of the uterine muscles to contract, the diameter of the cervical canal through which the blood flow takes place and formation of polyps (small tumors).
How Do you Know If you Have a Blood Clot?
To get to know about if you have a blood clot is firstly, look for the blood clot. The blood clot appears same as blood. The only difference is that its texture is somewhat different. Blood clot appears to be jelly like and solid in nature. Hence, you can directly look for it in your underpants. It usually occurs when you get heavy bleeding during your periods. Otherwise it is normal to have a blood clot in periods.
The bigger clots during menstruation can be prevented if these are examined at the right time, diagnosed properly by the health practitioner or the physician. If the big clot occurs while menstruating, effective treatment can be done.
You Might Also Like: