Eczema is an allergic reaction of the skin caused by external factors. It causes itching, causes rashes and sometimes even bleeding of the external layer of the skin. Eczema is also termed as atopic dermatitis and the symptoms usually include dry, thickened, cracked, swollen and sensitive skin. It is also characterized by red to dark brown spots and worsens during extreme temperatures.
Pure magnesium sulphate which is a mineral compound is commonly known as epsom salt. Epsom salt is said to have a number of medical and health benefits. Some of these benefits include- relieving pain and muscle cramps, ensuring proper functioning of nerves and muscles, increasing insulin receptivity, eliminating toxins from the body, preventing clotting of blood in the arteries and providing relief from constipation. It also has several other uses but here we shall be discussing about uses of Epsom salt in treating eczema.
Let us have a look at how Epsom salt can help with eczema.
Can Epsom Salt be used for Curing Eczema?
- Epsom salt has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in combating antigens that cause inflammation.
- It can be absorbed by the skin hence it helps in reducing the lesions that are caused on the skin due to eczema.
- The magnesium salt present in epsom salt is hygroscopic hence Epsom salt absorbs water molecules when applied on the skin.
- Epsom salt when applied on eczema affected skin drains the water from the bacteria and fungus that cause eczema hence does not allow further microbial growth on the skin.
- It reduces the edema and eczema caused on the skin by balancing the acid-base production of the skin.
How to Use Epsom Salt for Eczema?
1. Epsom Salt Baths:
- Take 5 grams of Epsom salt and mix it in 5 litres of bathing water.
- Use this to bathe every day.
- This reduces skin irritations and helps in drying the skin and that helps in reducing eczema rashes.
2. Epsom Salt with Coconut Oil or Essential Oils:
- Mix 5% Epsom salt in the bathing water and make sure that the water is warm.
- Add a little bit of coconut or lavender oil to this bath.
- Soak the body in this water for at least half an hour.
- Wash and rinse with normal water afterwards.
- Repeat every day.
[ Read: How To Treat Eczema with Coconut Oil ]
Tips and Precautions:
- The strong anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and the ability to increase immunity of epsom salt makes it a strongly recommended natural home remedy for curing eczema of the skin. Even though it does not cause any side-effects and can be used by adults, Epsom salt baths are not recommended for children and infants as their skin is more sensitive to the salt concentration.
- Epsom salts can cause dry skin in people with sensitive skin.
- Continued and excessive use of Epsom salt also causes skin to dry.
- Epsom salt used should be dissolved properly in the bath before soaking the affected area in it. If it is not properly dissolved the whole purpose would stand defeated.
In case of a reaction it is advised to stop using Epsom salt and consult the dermatologist immediately.