Guava is a tropical fruit and is consumed majorly all around the globe. It is sweet and juicy and is usually available throughout the year and is extremely healthy. Enriched in Vitamins A and C , pottasium, lycopene, dietary fibres and other minerals, guava has been used used and acclaimed for various medicinal purposes and is part of various tested remedies.
Likewise, guava leaves too have medicinal value and have multiple health benefits. It is an antioxidant and is rich in flavanol quercetin which is important for maintaining good health. So without overlooking the myriad of medicinal and healthy properties these leaves consists of, lets go through in brief the various health benefits of Guava Leaves.
Here are Health Benefits of Guava Leaves
1. To Treat Diarrhea
It is majorly used to treat symptoms of diarrhea. Diarrhea affects one when their colon doesn’t absorb any water and their is no fluid retention. Hence there is an immense discharge and the body tends to get weak and in a state of fatigue. This occurs due to a bacterial infection namely Staphylococcus Aureus that can be effectively fought by the anti-bacterial properties of guava leaves. These leaves contain tannin and other essentials oil that inhibit the bacterial growth and cures diarrhea.(1)
2. To Decrease Cholesterol
Guava leaves are also found to effective in controlling cholesterol levels of the body, thus preventing many health problems. These leaves have phtyochemical substances that inhibit pancreatic cholesterol which reduces the body’s overall cholesterol level. Chemicals like the gallic acid, epicathecin and cathecin that are present in these leaves are responsible for this reduction and balancing of cholesterol levels.(2)
3. Induces Weight Loss
The presence of the compound quercetin and cathecin restricts the fat cell formation and the latter has a fat burning effect in the body. These compounds help in inducing weight loss thus preventing obesity. Being an epidemic of the modern day lifestyle, obesity has taken a toll on lot of lives. It is the root cause for various health ailments like heart problems and diabetes. Hence, guava leaves have proven beneficial for ones looking at losing ounces of weight, however with other additional activities.
4. To Prevent Diabetes Type 2
The hypoglycemic effect of cathecin present in guava leaves helps in maintaining blood glucose levels. Using it for a long run can prevent Diabetes type 2, that is caused by obesity. Being more of a lifestyle disease, a change in one’s regime and the consumption of guava leaves have been found immensely effective in it s prevention and is highly recommended.(3)
5. To Prevent Heart Disease And Stroke
Another major compound present in quercetin, that is anti-oxidant which detoxifies the body. It is essential in reduction oxidative stress that are caused by free radicals. It restricts the formation of low density lipoprotein (LDL) which forms plaque in the blood vessels. This is considered to be bad fat and it can develop atherosclerosis. By consuming guava leaf, plaque formation can be inhibited thus prevent heart disease and stroke.(4)
6. To Prevent Cancer
Found to be effective in preventing several types of cancer such as gastric, breast, oral and prostate cancer, the anti-cancer activity of guava leaves is recommendable. The presence of antioxidant quercetin, lycopene and Vitamin C induce apoptosis , i.e self – killing of the cancerous cells. This was published in a study in 2011 and has since then guava leaves have been incorporated for prevention of cancer.(5)
7. For Prevention And Cure From Cholera
As per a study by Rahim et al, guava leaves have strong anti-microbial properties that is effective against Vibrio Cholera. Being an epidemic in many countries, cholera has caused many deaths around the globe. Therefore consumption of guava leave extract has been suggested to the ones suffering from cholera.
8. To Prevent Inflammation
The presence of ethanol, has been found to have effective anti-inflammatory properties that can prevent inflammation. This was stated in a study by Dutta and Das. Another study by researcher Kawakami, found anti-proliferative properties in guava leaves that could restrict the catalytic properties of prostaglandin endoperoxide. That is responsible for causing inflammation. Even the glycosides present in the guava leaves extract have properties that restrict the histamine protein production that triggers inflammation.
9. To Protect Liver
Guava leaves protect the liver by curing various injuries caused to the liver. The liver can be damaged by excessive paracetamol consumption or from enzymes like bilirubin, alkaline phosphate, aspartate aminotransferace and alanine aminotransferace . These leaves with their effective hepatoprotective property helps in detoxifying the organ.(6)
10. To Prevent Dermatitis
The ethyl acetate compound present in guava leaves extract restrict the chemokine in keratinocytes that are responsible for causing dermatitis. This can be effective in curbing other skin inflammation or skin diseases.
11. To Reduce Allergy
Quarcetin is known for its anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory properties that is effective in preventing food allergy, skin allergy and dust allergy that could asthma. Guava leaves is the best natural remedy one could opt for to prevent these allergies.(7)
12. To Reduce Arthritic Pain
An autoimmune disorder, arthritis causes severe joint pain. The presence of quercetin in guava leaves reduces the pain and is effective in reducing infection too.(8)
13. For Treating Stomach Ulcer
The methanol present in guava extract that consists of saponine, volatil oil and flavonoid helps to treat stomach ulcer. The presence of tannin promotes the healing of gastric wound and gastric ailments.
14. To Treat Cough
Guava leaves are effective in soothing any irritation in the respiratory act. It is found to have anti-cough properties that relaxes the respiratory muscles thus treating cough. One can prepare guava leaf tea with its extract and have it with honey and ginger, to cure cough.
15. For Hair Growth
Guava leaves are effective in treating hair problems like hair loss and hair growth issues. Applying it on the scalp helps promote hair growth and reduces hairfall.(9)
16. To Improve Skin
Being an anti-oxidant, guava leaves extract can protect skin for various skin problems caused by free radicals. These radicals are responsible for premature aging of skin and for damaging skin cell. Hence consuming guava leaf tea can help in keeping the skin young and firm.(10)
17. To Cure Acne
Having anti-bacterial properties, guava leaves directly attack the bacteria P. Acne, responsible for causing acne. Applying the extract directly onto the acne reduces the acne and dries it. Being anti-inflammatory, guava leaves reduces skin inflammation and heals the skin.(11)
18. For Treating Dengue Fever
With its properties to increase the trombocyte, platelet level in blood, guava leaves can be used to cure dengue fever. The same was stated in a study and now guava leaves are an effective alternative treatment for dengue fever.(12)
19. Treating Bronchitis
With the ability to loosen muscles and relax any distress among them, guava leaves have been observed to promote lung opening thus soothing the cough for one suffering with bronchitis. These leaves reduce the infection in the bronchus of the respiratory system thus gradually curing the symptoms.(13)
20. To Improve Oral Health
Guava leaves can effectively improve oral health considering its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Chewing the leaves can soothe oral discomfort like reducing inflamed gums and mild toothaches.
With the above mentioned health benefits, it is now understood how effective guava leaves are. Hence it is suggested that one should try incorporating these leaves in the health regime for noticeable improvement in their well being. So why wait? Get some guava leaves and bring in the change ladies.(14)
- Psidium guajava leaf extract prevents intestinal colonization of Citrobacter rodentium in the mouse model- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4395930/
- Effect of Guava in Blood Glucose and Lipid Profile in Healthy Human Subjects: A Randomized Controlled Study- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27790420/
- Anti-hyperglycemic and anti-hyperlipidemic effects of guava leaf extract- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831039/
- Protective effects of polysaccharides from Psidium guajava leaves against oxidative stresses- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27296444/
- Brain derived metastatic prostate cancer DU-145 cells are effectively inhibited in vitro by guava (Psidium gujava L.) leaf extracts- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17571972/
- Guava leaf extracts alleviate fatty liver via expression of adiponectin receptors in SHRSP.Z-Leprfa/Izm rats- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3298795/
- Guava (Psidium guajava L.) Leaves: Nutritional Composition, Phytochemical Profile, and Health-Promoting Bioactivities- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8066327/
- Histologic Property Of Psidium Guajava Linn Guava Leaf Extract In Wound- https://ejmcm.com/article_5644_a58f2eabe40b3bc6fefe09b51f5a7ae5.pdf
- Phytochemical and in-vitro evaluation of formulated polyherbal hair conditioner- https://www.phytojournal.com/archives/2019/vol8issue6/PartA/8-5-368-886.pdf
- Antioxidant power of phytochemicals from Psidium guajava leaf- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15101101/
- Antimicrobial Activities of Leaf Extracts of Guava (Psidium guajava L.) on Two Gram-Negative and Gram-Positive Bacteria- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3817707/
- Potential anti-dengue medicinal plants: a review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3765846/
- Guava extract (Psidium guajava) alters the labelling of blood constituents with technetium-99m- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474003/
- Psidium guajava: A review on its potential as an adjunct in treating periodontal disease- https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264832948_Psidium_guajava_A_review_on_its_potential_as_an_adjunct_in_treating_periodontal_disease
You Might Also Like:
- 20 Amazing Benefits And Uses Of Figs
- 36 Top Benefits of Parsley for health, hair and skin
- 50 Amazing Benefits of Papaya for Health and Beauty
- 10 Foods That Boost Your Body’s Keratin Levels
- 18 Amazing Benefits of Bitter Melon for Skin,Hair and Health
Image Source : 1