Multivitamins are usually taken to balance the level of vitamins in our body that is not fulfilled completely due to our dietary intake. So as to balance all the vitamins there are several supplements present in tablet or powder form that can be taken any time a day as prescribed by doctor or pharmacist.(1)
On the same side routinely taking dosage of vitamins and minerals can harm your body. Here we have mentioned both common and uncommon side effects of consuming Multivitamins.
8 Unexpected Multivitamin Side Effects
Agitation is a state of nervous excitement or anxiety. This is found in people taking multivitamins with aspirin and having depression. It is commonly found in females with age of 60+.
2. Allergic Reactions
If you are allergic to a vitamin or mineral present in multivitamin, then your immune system mistakes it as harmful to you and reacts in a certain way to protect you from it. That further causes imbalance of vitamins and results by causing rashes, hives, swelling of eyes, itching or redness.(2)
It is mainly caused by folate deficiency, but on the other hand high dosage of vitamin A, niacin(3) and choline can also cause dizziness. So always be sure about your dosage of vitamins.
4. Double Vision
Consuming more than daily amount of recommended Vitamin A and D can cause double vision. Whereas the same is responsible for helping one get rid of double vision. This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. So call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.(4)
5. Iron Overdose
Iron poisoning can be really serious. Multivitamins containing excess amount of iron and taking high dosage of it can result in liver failure. Children are at risk of permanent harm. So it’s really necessary to keep these vitamins out of reach of kids and to manage your dosage intake properly.(5)
6. Fat Soluble Vitamin Overdose
Fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E and K) overdose results in harmful side effects. Vitamin A overdose can cause nausea, headache, dizziness, lack of appetite and fatigue.
Vitamin D overdose can cause kidney failure as excess intake of calcium in our body can result in deposition of calcium fragments near our joints thereby resulting in serious conditions like arthritis.
Vitamin E overdose can cause skin allergies or bleeding disorders. Vitamin K overdose can lead to toxicity. Vitamin K helps in blood clotting. Till now we don’t have any particular defined dosage of vitamin in our body. But still the dosage should be taken care of.(6)
7. Affects Gastrointestinal System
Common side effect of multivitamin uses is mild gastrointestinal symptoms that include nausea and diarrhea. They normally subsides a couple of days. Mainly iron take is responsible for stomach discomfort.(7)
8. Taste Alteration
Multivitamin users report a strange taste in their mouth. This due to metallic minerals present in them like magnesium and iron. This subsides within a span of time.
Overall, multivitamin are relatively safe if taken according to the prescribed dosage or according to the deficiency in our body. Always make sure to consult your doctor or pharmacist regarding your intake of multivitamins and make sure you tell them about the other ongoing drug, if any. Administer dosage of vitamin properly and lead a healthy life ahead.
- Adverse Effects Of Nutraceuticals And Dietary Supplements- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6380172/
- Anaphylactic Reaction to Cyanocobalamin: A Case Report- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6034758/
- Niacin- https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-niacin/art-20364984
- Vitamin A and Carotenoids- https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/
- Management of acute iron overdose- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2663331/
- Why US adults use dietary supplements- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23381623/
You Might Also Like:
- 7 Unexpected Side Effects of Surgical Abortion
- Common Side Effects of Adderall
- Serious Biotin Side Effects On Your Health
- Unexpected Side Effects of Blood Thinners
- Oziva Plant Based Multivitamin
- 10 Side Effects of Consuming Too Much Folic Acid
- 11 Side Effects Of Eating Too Much Papaya Seeds