Hives, also known as urticaria, is an allergic reaction that causes swollen bumps or plaques on the skin. It causes itching of the skin and the rashes can cause a burning or stinging sensation. The allergens that cause hives are unknown. However, the allergic response is due to the production of histamines in the skin cells which could be due to an insect bite, insect sting, exposure to sunlight, etc. Hives can occur anywhere on the body and can vary in size.
The use of oatmeal bath for curing hives is gaining popularity as it poses no potential side-effects. Oatmeal is commonly consumed by people all over the world on a daily basis making it an easy option for treating hives. Hulled oat grains also known as groats are processed to make oatmeal. They can be rolled, steel-cut or ground. Let’s see how to use Oatmeal to cure hives or urticaria.
Table of Contents
Can Oatmeal Help with Hives?
- Oatmeal has been proved to have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial effect due to the presence of beta-glucan.
- Oats contain good quantities of antioxidants called avenanthramides which are helpful in eradicating excess free radicals produced by the body during infections.
- The beta-glucan present in oats causes a boost in the immune system as it leads to the production of neutrophils that fight foreign substances entering the body.
- Oats also have an anti-bacterial effect towards harmful bacteria for the same reason.
How to Use Oatmeal Bath for Hives:
An oatmeal bath is usually pulverized oats added to a warm bath.
- Measure about 3/4th cup of oatmeal that has been ground and pulverized.
- Place this in a coffee filter or cloth and tie the open end with a rubber band.
- Place this in warm water to be used to take bath until water is tepid.
- Soak the body in this solution for about 10 minutes every day till you get relief from hives.
Oatmeal Bath with Lavender Oil:
- Pulverized oatmeal can be mixed with a few drops of lavender oil.
- Once mixed, place this in a coffee filter or cloth and tie the loose end with a rubber band.
- Allow this to be soaked into the water to be used for bathing.
- Use everyday till your hives get cured.
Oatmeal Bath with Buttermilk:
- Prepare an oatmeal bath with pulverized oats soaked in water until the water is tepid.
- After that, add buttermilk or milk to the water.
- Soak the affected area in this water for 10 minutes.
- Bathe in this mix everyday till your hives go away.
Oatmeal Bath with Epsom Salt:
- Follow the steps as given in the above remedies to prepare an oatmeal bath.
- Once the water is ready, 3/4th cup of epsom salt can be added to the bath.
- Allow the body to be soaked in this water for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this everyday for urticaria treatment.
Tips and Precautions:
- Use unflavoured and plain oatmeal to avoid any allergic reaction caused by these additional substances.
- Essential oils can be added to the oatmeal bath to increase its effectiveness of being absorbed by the pores on the skin.
Ensure that the affected area is not soaked in the oatmeal bath for too long as it can cause mild irritation.