Boils are bacterial infection caused in hair follicles due to bacterial deposits. It can appear anywhere on the body and can be really painful. Epsom salt works in at-home recipes to cure boils. It is a natural alternative that has been used therapeutically for hundreds of years. It is a safe and inexpensive alternative for pricier, over-the-counter remedies.
Does Epsom Salt Help In The Treatment Of Boils?
The use of Epsom salt as a natural cure for boils is one of the best remedies without any side effects.
- The Epsom salt aids in bringing out the toxins, dries up the boil with minimal pain.
- It can successfully fight against the becateira since it conains antimicrobial and antiseptic properties.
- The Epsom salt quickly dries the boils by absorbing the moisture from wherever the boils are present.
- It can prevent the skin abscess by enhancing the immune system and also stops it from reoccurring.
- All the secondary infections are kept at bay due to the presence of antibacterial properties in it.
- The astringent present in Epsom salt helps in drawing out the pus and impurities.
- Another way the pus is brought out is due to the heat generated by Epsom salt which in turn increases blood circulation.
- Toxins and other metabolic wastes are released when you take an Epsom salt bath as it increases your perspiration.
How To Use Epsom Salt for Boils:
1. Epsom Salt With Warm Water:
- Take 2 cups of Epsom salt and add it in a tub of warm water.
- After giving it a thorough stir, let the areas wherever the boils are present soak in the water for 10–15 minutes.
- Let the water dry off naturally. You would have to do this everyday at least 2-3 times.
- If you are running short on time, you could also directly apply the Epsom salt on the boils.
The below method can be used if you want to treat open boils.
- Take 8 cups of hot water and add in 1 cup of Epsom salt.
- You could either directly place the boil in the mixture or soak a cloth in it and place it on the boil.
- Tae off the cloth after 10 minutes and follow this process on a daily basis.
2. Epsom Salt Compress:
- Make a solution by adding 2 teaspoons of Epsom salt in 2 cups of warm water.
- Dip a washcloth in it, squeeze out the excess water and place it on the boils.
- Remove the coth after 10–15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times daily.
3. Epsom Salt Bath:
The below method can be used of you need to treat boils present on areas like thighs, buttocks, and neck.
- Fill your bathtub with hot water and add 2 cups of Epsom salt.
- Lie down gently in the bathtub for 15–20 minutes.
- While taking the bath, ensure to put a wet towel around your neck.
- After the soak-in, take a cold shower but do not use any soap.
- Follow this method at least 2–3 times a week.
4. Epsom Salt Poultice:
- Prepare a thick paste by mixing 2 tablespoons of Esom salt in warm water.
- Gently take the paste and apply it wherever required.
- Wash it off after 10–15 minutes with cool water.
- Pat dry your skin. For positive and effective results, ensure that you apply the paste twice in a day.
5. Epsom Salt Scrub:
- Take a little bit of Epsom salt and add it in a little bit of water. Keep in mind that it shouldn’t dissolve in it.
- Use this salt scrub on the boil
- After 5-8 minutes, use water to wash it off.
- Doing this once or twice in a day should be sufficient.
6. Epsom Salt with Apple Cider Vinegar:
This is perfect for treating folliculitis/scalp furncles.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it complete in Apple cider vinegar.
- Add some Epsom salt on it. Now place the cotton ball on the boils and use a medical tape to keep it in place.
- Let the cotton ball remain on the boils overnight.
- Do this for couple of nights.
7. Epsom Salt with Baking Soda:
- In a bowl, add baking soda and Epsom salt and mix them thoroughly.
- Apply it on the boils and use a bandage to cover it and leave it overnight.
- Throw away the bandage so that the infection doesnt spread unnecessarily.
8. Epsom Salt with Vaseline:
- To prepare this smooth ointment, you need to mix Epsom salt and 1 tablespoon of Vaseline.
- Apply the ointment all over the boils and cover it with a medical tape.
- Leave it overnight and in the morning wash it off wth lukewarm water.
- You need to do this on a regular basis.
Tips and Precautions:
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure or have severe varicose veins, please do not use Epsom salt.
- When the boil bursts, apply a flannel soaked in warm Epsom salt water for a couple of days.
- The bacteria can enter the skin through cuts hence covering them quickly to prevent the infection in future as well.
- Proper hydration, nutritious diet, regular exercises and avoidance of stress will ensure that skin abscess is prevented.
- This bacterial infection can be deadly so make cure to consult your doctor, if you have significant swelling, redness or drainage from infection.