What Is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis is the most common gynecological infection and in the case of sexually active women, there are chances of the infection getting transmitted to the partner. It is advisable to treat the infection in its initial stages, and what could be better than treating it with a natural remedy. The most used method is the yogurt.
Yogurt is a dietary supplement and has always been widely accepted as a great post meal option. It contains probiotics – a friendly bacteria present in the digestive system. Live strains of these good bacteria are found in yogurt, which can prove beneficial to combat against bacterial vaginosis.
Below we have mentioned how one can use yogurt in various methods to cure bacterial vaginosis. The remedies are quite easy to do and can be extremely beneficial to cure the problem with ease. Have a look!
Does Yogurt Help To Combat Against Bacterial Vaginosis?
- Most yogurts have active cultures. These keep the immune and digestive systems healthy keeping the bacterial colonies at bay. The presence of these causes bacterial vaginosis.
- Using yogurt, one can restore the vagina’s normal pH balance as well as reduce the growth of bad bacteria. This in turn will be effective against Bacterial Vaginosis.
How To Use Yogurt For BV (Bacterial Vaginosis)?
1. Plain Yogurt:
- Eating a cup of yogurt twice in a day can be helpful in treating bacterial vaginosis.
2. Applying Yogurt Using Tampons:
- Take a tampon and soak it in yogurt.
- Place the soaked tampon in your vagina and leavbe it for 1-2 hourse.
- Ensure that you do not leave it in overnight.
- You can follow this method until you see that all the symptoms have disappeared.
3. Applying Yogurt Using Cotton Pads:
- Take some yogurt in a bowl and soak a cotton ball in it.
- Genty place the cotton ball on the affected area.
- After half an hour, use fresh water to thoroughly clean the area.
- Doing this 3 times in a day will give your positive results.
4. Applying Yogurt Using An Applicator:
- Buy an applicator from a local pharmaceutical shop.
- Using the applicator, try and insert a little bit of yogurt.
- Alternatively, you could also do it with the help of your fingers.
- In order to avoid the yogurt falling off, just use a panty liner or a pad.
Pregnancy and Breastfeeding:
Yogurt seems to be safe in food amounts and might be safe when applied intravaginally during pregnancy. It’s best to avoid intra-vaginal use if you are nursing.
Tips And Precautions:
Though yogurt is reportedly safe when it is taken by mouth or applied on the vagina, but there have been side effects when the yogurt that is used is infected with bad bacteria.
- Buy a plain yogurt to avoid any obstruction caused by additional ingredients.
- Always buy a good quality yogurt and check its expiry date.
- Yogurt that has been prepared at home must be stored properly.
- Intake of yogurt is not safe for people with a weak immune system as it further aggravates the condition.
- Ciprofloxacin, an antibiotic drug interacts with yogurt. Yogurt can reduce the effectiveness of this drug.
Do not exceed the limit of 150ml of yogurt per day to ward off bacterial vaginosis.