BV or Bacterial vaginosis is a type of infection which is found in women in her private parts. There are 2 types of Bacteria found, One is good bacteria and other one is bad bacteria. Presence of good bacteria supports in controlling growth of bad bacteria.
Women suffering from bacterial vaginosis actually have misbalanced proportion of good and bad bacteria. Lack of required amount of good bacteria and existence of too many bad bacteria cause this problem. Imbalance of these 2 types of bacteria in the female genitalia leads to increase of white as well as grey discharge. Sometimes it comes with a fishy smell which is very odd. Some may get a burning sensation or itching close to female genitalia at time of urination.
But in most of the cases there is hardly any symptom observed by women. There are several ways to get rid of Bacterial vaginosis. Some suggests making use of coconut oil for bv treatment. If the condition turns serious then doctor’s attention may be needed.(1)
Is Coconut oil Good for BV?
Coconut oil is having good amount of antibacterial as well anti fungal properties which can be for topical treatment in order to get control on the bacterial infections which occur in the female genitalia. In short we recommend use of coconut oil for this problem for below reasons:
- It is Anti-viral in nature
- It is Anti-bacterial in nature
- It is Anti-fungal in nature(2)
How to Use Coconut oil for BV?
Before you make an attempt to use coconut oil for treating BV ensure that the one you are using is an organic one. You can consume it with food as this will directly enter your body and give you internal power to fight this health issue. On the other way out you can put coconut oil directly in the female genitalia.(3)
1. Coconut oil for BV
- coconut oil
Preparation time: 2 minutes.
How to do:
- Take few spoons of coconut oil and put it in freezer for few minutes till it turns to semi solid state.
- Now place it inside female genitalia and it will melt over there in an evenly manner.
There are other methods of using Coconut oils for treating the problem of BV.(4)
[ Read: How to Treat BV with Hydrogen Peroxide ]
2. Tea Tree oil and Coconut oil for BV
Tea tree oil is having both antimicrobial as well as anti-fungal properties perfect to handle infection present in female genitalia. If you are feeling embarrassed because of the female genitalia odor, then the antibacterial effect of it will support in eliminating odor present in vaginal discharge.(5)
- warm water
- 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- coconut oil
Preparation time: 5 minutes.
- Take a bowl with some warm water.
- Take tea tree oil and mix well.
- Add few drops of coconut oil after making it warm and mix well.
- Now put a cotton tampon in it and soak it.
- Place it in the female genitalia and keep it for at least 2 hrs and then take out.
Repetitions: Do this for a week and get some relief soon.
How it works:
- Tea tree oil acts wonderfully and in an effective manner to treat this problem.
- Tea tree oil in combination with coconut oil can be used as a home remedy for killing the germs which are responsible to cause bacterial vaginosis.
[ Read: How to Use Tea Tree oil for BV ]
3. Vitamin C and Coconut oil for BV
- Vitamin C is one of the most popular supplements known for treating BV.
- You can take it through female genitalia or even orally. 500 mg tablet is perfect to take through female genitalia.
- If in case you are finding that it is causing irritation in female genitalia skin, then take it orally and apply some coconut oil in female genitalia for irritation relief.(6)
4. Boric Acid and Coconut oil for BV
Use of Boric acid is also considered as one of the most trustworthy home remedy to treat the problem of BV.(7)
- You can have it in form of capsule and insert the same through female genitalia and keep it for 2 to 3 hrs time and you will be away from the odor.
- If you still feel that bit of the odor still exists, then they go for one more capsule in 2nd part of the day and you will be completely free from it.
In case you are getting a feel of dryness near the female genitalia after boric acid treatment then do not get scared. Make some capsule of coconut oil and place it in the freezer. Once it takes a semi solid state insert it in the female genitalia this will kill the yeast or bacteria present in the female genitalia completely. It will give a soothing feel.
[ Read: How to Use Boric Acid for BV ]
5. Apple Cider Vinegar and Coconut oil for BV
- apple cider vinegar
- coconut oil
- Take 2 cups full of apple cider vinegar and add in your bath water along with few drops of coconut oil.
- Ensure the water is lukewarm.
- Let your body soak in the water for about 20 minutes or so.
- This will treat your BV problem faster.
Repetitions: Do it for 2 to 3 days for fast recovery from this problem.
Tip: You can also add few drops of tea oil in it for a soothing effect in the female genitalia area.
How it works:
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) can give you quick relief from the itching sensation and inflammation caused in female genitalia area due to bacterial vaginosis.
- Its antibacterial feature is perfect to treat BV.
- It will act to lower down the Ph level of the female genitalia.(8)
[ Read: How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for BV ]
What Kind of Coconut oil is Best for BV
- As already mentioned in the beginning that use of organic oil is considered best for treating problems of BV.
- Avoid using such coconut oils which are available with artificial essence to make your hair smell better.
- Go for pure and organic coconut oil only for treating the problem of bacterial vaginosis.
There are various other methods of treating the problem of bacterial vaginosis, but one of the best alternatives to treat it at home is with organic coconut oil. You can try out any of the above mentioned methods where coconut oil in combination with other natural oils and boric acids are used for treating the problem.(9)
- Antimicrobial Activity of Coconut Oil and its Derivative (Lauric Acid) on Some Selected Clinical Isolates-https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319421441_Antimicrobial_Activity_of_Coconut_Oil_and_its_Derivative_Lauric_Acid_on_Some_Selected_Clinical_Isolates
- Comparison of Antimicrobial Activity of Chlorhexidine, Coconut Oil, Probiotics, and Ketoconazole on Candida albicans Isolated in Children with Early Childhood Caries: An In Vitro Study- https://www.hindawi.com/journals/scientifica/2016/7061587/
- Bacterial Vaginosis – CDC Basic Fact Sheet- https://www.cdc.gov/std/bv/stdfact-bacterial-vaginosis.htm
- Comparison of antibacterial efficacy of coconut oil and chlorhexidine on Streptococcus mutans: An in vivo study- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5109859/
- Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/
- Efficacy of Vitamin C Vaginal Tablets as Prophylaxis for Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis: A Randomised, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3712888/
- BASIC study: is intravaginal boric acid non-inferior to metronidazole in symptomatic bacterial vaginosis? Study protocol for a randomized controlled trial- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4514959/
- Analysis of Vaginal Acetic Acid in Patients Undergoing Treatment for Bacterial Vaginosis-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC525245/
- Activity Of Virgin Coconut Oil, Lauric Acid Or Monolaurin In Combination With Lactic Acid Against Staphylococcus Aureus- https://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/seameo/2012-43-4/20-5197-12.pdf
You Might Also Like: