What Is Bacterial Vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis causes the natural balance of both good and bad bacteria gets imbalanced. The imbalance causes bad bacteria to increase and good bacteria to decrease, which causes mild infection.
Healthy bacteria thrive in a slightly acidic environment. One of the things that can cause an outbreak of BV is if the pH levels in your vagina become less acidic than they should be. For centuries, apple cider vinegar has been a part of our households. Apple cider vinegar has acetic acid which has the ability to kill dangerous “bad” bacteria hence acts as an antibiotic, and at the same time to foster the growth of beneficial “good” bacteria
Below we have mentioned various ways to use ACV for bacterial vaginosis, that could help cure the problem with ease and at home.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Cure BV?
Apple cider vinegar is one of those miracle cures that is present in most of the kitchens. It is claimed that it can cure anything from hiccups to dandruff. Besides beneficial to cure acid reflux, lower blood pressure, improve diabetes, it also aids in reducing the symptoms of BV.
- Healing compounds such as potassium, probiotics, enzymes, acetic acid, etc., are what makes apple cider vinegar so beneficial.
- Acetic acid can kill bad bacteria and promote the building of good bacteria.
- It balances the pH levels.
- Apple cider vinegar also provides a number of skin related benefits.
- Does not interact with anti-biotics.
Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature and helps increase vaginal acidity. Bad bacteria cannot survive in acidic environment whereas good bacteria thrives.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for BV (Bacterial Vaginosis)?
- Mix two cups of water with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Perform the douching with this mixture.
- It can take anything from one to two weeks to heal.
- Fill a clean bathtub with 100 to 200 ml water and add 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar.
- Soak in it like you would do in a normal bath.
- Soaking in the tub for more than 20 minutes can cause an increase in pH levels of your vagina.
3. Tampon Soak:
- Prepare a mixture of water and ACV and soak a tampon in it.
- Leave the tampon in your vagina overnight.
- Repeat till symptoms disappear.
Drinking apple cider vinegar cocncoctions can also help in keeping bacterial vaginosis at bay.
Tips and Precautions:
- Always buy pure and organic apple cider vinegar.
- Always dilute apple cider vinegar before using. Since the vagina has delicate tissues, a strong concentration of the vinegar can damage the tender tissues.
- Do not overdo the application of this vinegar in your vagina as it can lead to an imbalance of pH levels.