Dry socket is often defined as the strong, sharp and throbbing pain that follows the removal of a tooth.(1)
It usually occurs two to three days after tooth removal due to inflammation and/or blood clot in the tooth socket as a result of the healing process. Several other factors that include excessive intake of nicotine, bacterial infections and inadequate blood supply can also cause dry socket. It is a very rare condition occurring in only 1-2% of tooth removal cases but it is seen to occur in 45% of wisdom tooth removal treatments.
Apart from being used as a flavouring substance in a number of culinary preparations, cloves have extensive medicinal properties. Cloves are used as medical ingredients in Indian Ayurvedic, Chinese and Western medicines. Cloves are used in the form of a powder and contain an essential oil called as eugenol which is full of medicinal properties.
Does Clove Oil Help Cure Dry Sockets?
- The use of eugenol (an essential oil present in clove oil) is listed as the most common home remedy for treating dry socket.
- Clove oil is known to be used in a number of dental treatments hence the typical smell of clove oil is commonly associated with the smell in dental clinics as it is used by dentists for a number of dental disorders.
- Clove oil is an analgesic which means it acts as a pain-killer and helps relieve pain caused by dry sockets.
How to Use Clove Oil for Dry Socket?
Following a tooth removal, a dentist usually bandages the socket to avoid any external infection. However, clove oil is recommended as a great way to treat dry socket at home.(2)
- Clean the affected area with water to remove any debris. To do this you can rinse your mouth to ensure all dirt and debris are ejected from the mouth and the sight of the dry socket is clean.(3)
- Dip a clean cotton swab in clove oil. Remove the excess oil from the cotton swab.
- Apply this cotton swab on the affected area and leave it in overnight.
- Remove the cotton swab on the next morning and clean the affected area.
- Repeat this process every night before going to bed until the pain reduces.
Clove Oil with Vegetable Oil
- Mix equal concentrations of clove oil and vegetable oil.
- Vegetable oil acts as a carrier for clove oil.
- Dip a sterile cotton swab in this oil mixture and place it on the affected area.
- Leave it in for 8-10 hours and then discard the cotton swab.
Tips and Precautions
- The use of clove oil can sometimes cause irritation in the tissue around the tooth and necrosis of the bone if used in excess and in high concentration regularly.
- It is always advisable to remove any excess oil from the cotton swab before applying it on the affected area.
- Clove oil tastes unpleasant so avoid its intake.
Sometimes use of clove oil may cause a burning sensation around the intended area of use.
- Dry socket- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/dry-socket/symptoms-causes/syc-20354376
- Efficacy of different methods used for dry socket management: A systematic review- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4598935/
- Microbicide activity of clove essential oil (Eugenia caryophyllata)- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3769004/
You Might Also Like:
- How To Use Clove Oil For Toothache Relief
- Top 7 Essential Oils for Headaches
- How To Use Almond Oil To Remove Stretch Marks
- Top 10 Essential Oils to Reduce Puffiness Under Your Eyes
- How to Use Essential Oils to Treat Anxiety and Depression