A toothache occurs due to many reasons such as dental cavities, temperature sensitivity, abscessed tooth, tooth grinding or clenching, gum recession, etc. Many remedies are applied to get rid of from this unbearable pain, among which clove oil also known as oil of clove is the most effective remedy. Here we discussed some effective ways to use clove oil for toothache relief.
Does Clove oil Really Works for Toothache:
- Clove has been used for years as the remedy for tooth pain. It has antibacterial properties that help in relieving toothache.
- Historically, the clove was inserted into an infected tooth or cavity. But now, instead of inserting the whole clove, clove oil is used.
- Studies have found that clove oil is more effective at reducing tooth pain than another type of analgesic.
How to Use Clove oil for Toothache:
- Clove oil
- A cotton ball, cotton swab or a clean tissue
- Carrier oil [olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil (anyone)]
- Warm water
- A small dish
Preparation time: 2-3 mins.
- Mix 3-4 drops of clove oil with 1 teaspoon of carrier oil in the dish.
- Dip the cotton ball, swab or tissue in the above mixture.
- Gently wipe the cotton ball or tissue around the area where you are feeling pain.
- You can also place the cotton ball or tissue over that area for a few seconds.
- Keep your mouth open for a few seconds to allow it to dry and get absorbed.
You can also use the undiluted clove oil directly by pouring 1-2 drops on the cotton ball and placing it for a few seconds on the sore tooth. But mixing it with the carrier oil is better as undiluted clove oil has a very unpleasant smell and bad taste and also it is harmful to health if ingested.
How it works: Clove oil contains a natural anesthetic called eugenol which has anti-inflammatory properties. It numbs the nerves of the mouth, reduce inflammation and irritation in the affected area, and hence, reduce pain.
Repetitions: Apply it 2-3 times a day to get fast relief.
Best time to apply: Apply it before going to sleep because your mouth remains closed when you are asleep, which helps gums to absorb the oil completely.
- Keep it in a dry place away from light and heat.
- Immediately wash the dish that you used to make the preparation to ensure safety.
- Wash your hands after applying it as it causes irritation in the nose and eyes if touched.
[ Read: How to Use Garlic for Tooth Abscess ]
Risks, Warnings, and Side-Effects:
- Avoid swallowing it as ingestion of clove oil can lead to several side-effects such as diarrhea, burning in the nose and throat, breathing difficulties, nausea, fluid in the lungs.
- Be sure to keep clove oil at the place where children cannot reach.
- Avoid using it for more than three days.
- Do not use it without medical advice if you are breast-feeding a baby.
- Pregnant women should not use it without doctor’s advice.
- Do not use it if you are allergic to clove.
- Consult your doctor if you feel any sign of an allergic reaction.
Using clove oil for toothache is one of the best solutions as it takes few minutes to prepare and gives fast result.
Although it is a great pain relief for tooth pain, it is not the permanent solution for dental issues. Try it using 1 to 2 days, if the pain still persists, visit your dentist.