Melatonin is a hormone produced in body which regulate the sleep and wakefulness. It is also used as a medicine synthesized artificially in the form of pills and other ways. The medicine is mostly used by people for jet lag and to adjust the body’s internal clock. It is also given to some patients as well. Here we explain in detail some melatonin side effects you should definitely read to know.
Table of Contents
- Is it Bad to Take Melatonin?
- Harmful Effects of Melatonin Supplements:
- 1. Weight Gain:
- 2. Bad Dreams:
- 3. High Blood Pressure:
- 4. Constipation:
- 5. Daytime Sleepiness:
- 6. Dizziness:
- 7. Stomach Cramps:
- 8. Irritability:
- Can you Overdose on Melatonin and Die?
- Can you Get Addicted to Take Melatonin?
- How Long Does it Take for Melatonin to Kick in?
- How Long Before Bed Should you Take Melatonin?
- Read Also:
- Dangerous Side Effects of Steroids
- Long Term Side Effects of Multivitamins
- Negative Effects of Biotin
- More from my site
Is it Bad to Take Melatonin?
Melatonin is a great method to control and adjust the cycle of body. However, some people argue that Melatonin is not competent as it disturbs the natural clock of body. Well, scientifically Melatonin is a fine approach for treating the insomnia, DSPS, sleep behaviour disorder etc. whether it is in the form of pill or other and is generally safe. But Melatonin actually disturbs the natural cycle of body and has several side effects, if taken for a long time like more than 2 years. Usually scientists and body experts believe that long term usage of Melatonin may have severe health problems such as High blood pressure.
Harmful Effects of Melatonin Supplements:
Melatonin is responsible for adjusting body’s internal clock. Side effects of Melatonin supplements are as follows :
1. Weight Gain:
- One of the side effects of long term usage of Melatonin is weight gain in the body. As per the body’s science, there are five hormones which are responsible for weight gain such as Cortisol, Gheril etc.
- Melatonin is one of them. In this way, Melatonin supplements are advised to stop after a certain period of time.
2. Bad Dreams:
- This problem is not very common among Melatonin users but is a serious problem.
- An excessive intake and longer relationship with Melatonin results in disturbing the body’s internal clock, thus causing to have bad dreams or nightmares in some people.
3. High Blood Pressure:
- Hypertension or the high Blood Pressure is always a risking factory to someone.
- Melatonin increases the blood pressure and thus risk the normal health of body.
- Imbalance in blood pressure is considered as one of the serious problems of body and the intake of Melatonin for a long time does affect the body raising the blood pressure.
- This may sound surprising but Constipation can also be a side effect of Melatonin.
- This is however not very common but more than two years of usage of Melatonin supplements may cause constipation in people.
- Constipation due to Melatonin occurs when your body does not suit it.
5. Daytime Sleepiness:
- Since Melatonin is the hormone responsible for wakefulness and sleep regulation, people tend to take Melatonin supplements as per their choices and also when not in need.
- Melatonin causes Daytime sleepiness, as an artificial production and intake of Melatonin disturbs the natural sleep cycle.
[ Read: Harmful Side Effects of Aspirin ]
- Dizziness is also a health issue that is caused by Melatonin. Dizziness is a problem characterised by loosing one’s balance and spinning around. That’s usually happens due to lose of energy in body.
- Melatonin supplement causes Dizziness.
7. Stomach Cramps:
- Stomach Cramps is sometimes known as abdominal pain.
- Cramps are muscular. Stomach Cramps may have a number of reasons but an excessive or long time dosage of Melatonin can cause Stomach Cramps.
- An increase and longer intake of Melatonin hormone in artificial way not only adjusts the body’s natural clock but also has adverse effects. Irritability is one of them.
- An unnatural cycle of sleep and wakefulness causes unnecessary anger and sadness. This is why it is not advisable to take artificially hormone for long.
Can you Overdose on Melatonin and Die?
Health experts believe that sleep with a supplementation and not by natural ways is always a bad idea and not proper. Most of the people who use Melatonin supplements take it to sleep at desired time and have a relaxed sleep. Melatonin is not known to cause death but there are instances when people share horrible experiences regarding Melatonin. There are however very less examples when people tell they almost died due to addiction of Melatonin supplements. An extremely high amount of Melatonin for a very long period of time is dangerous. It may cause several severe health issues.
Can you Get Addicted to Take Melatonin?
Melatonin is generally safe to use and adjust the cycle of body. But taking it for long period of time may have adverse effects on body. However, addiction is something that depends from person to person. Usually people do not get addicted by Melatonin. But some people feel a big need of the same because of their work and lifestyle. That may be deemed as an addiction but in literal senses Melatonin is a hormone and we are not supposed to get addicted to it by any way.
How Long Does it Take for Melatonin to Kick in?
Well, Melatonin has great result on a peaceful and relaxing sleep. But Working of the Melatonin supplement again depends on person to person as every person has a mechanism of body and tolerance towards supplements as well. However usually Melatonin takes around 15 to 20 minutes to kick in. It does have an impact towards sleep as it makes it more relaxed but again, it is advisable to not take it for so long.
How Long Before Bed Should you Take Melatonin?
Several studies have been conducted to know how long before bed should we take Melatonin for the best of results. Generally, it is said that Melatonin should be taken around 20 to 30 minutes before bed. It has been found that Melatonin supplement taking this time before bed improves sleep efficiency.
Melatonin is an important hormone produced by Pineal gland in the body. To maintain a proper sleep people, tend to take Melatonin supplements. The synthetic Melatonin (prepared in laboratories) works effectively and is generally safe to take but like everything there should be a limit of time span. More than 2 years of intake of Melatonin supplement may cause a range of health problems.