Aspirin is a well-known household name. it is a salicylate drug with acetylsalicylic acid as its main ingredient and is better known as acetylsalicylic acid. The most common use of aspirin is a painkiller. Although reference has been made of aspirin being a painkiller, it is only of the mild variety. It is the oldest known non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. It is available in the market both in coated and non-coated forms. The coated ones ensure that the stomach is not upset after consuming it. The drug though very popular among masses, comes with a number of side effects. We share some of the aspirin side effects it the article below.
11 Dangerous Aspirin Side Effects
1. Allergic Reaction
Common allergic reactions related to aspirin are breathing problems, dizziness, swelling of the lips, tongue, nose, itchy nose and hives. If you come across any such symptoms, consult your doctor.(1)
2. Not Suitable for Pregnant Women
The medicine is harmful to the growing fetus. It can reduce its weight and cause heart problems in the child.(2)
3. Not Suitable for Nursing Mothers
The aspirin components will pass into the child through breast milk. The components of the medicine are harmful to the child. So, nursing mothers should not use it.(3)
4. Excess Bleeding
It should not be consumed especially if you are to go through any surgeries anytime soon. It consists of powerful blood thinning property that will lead to serious problems during the surgery.(4)
5. Stomach Irritation
The very common side effect of aspirin is stomach irritation and heartburn. Consult your doctor if this is a common occurrence.(5)
6. Affects The Liver
The liver is the detoxifying agent of our body. Continuous use of aspirin adversely affects our liver and cause serious health problems.(6)
Continuous and prolonged use of aspirin will lead to tinnitus and other hearing problems. If you are suffering from tinnitus, (continuous ringing in the ears) then consult the doctor at once.(7)
Those suffering from asthma then stay as far from aspirin as possible. The asthma attacks caused by this medicine are nearly fatal.(8)
[ Read: Folic Acid Side Effects ]
9. Skin Problems
Easy bruising is a common occurrence if you are taking this medicine regularly. The capillaries become weak. Consult with your doctor to address the problem at once.
10. Kidney Failure
Regular intake of the medicine will lead to analgesic nephropathy. It is basically the injury of the kidney that leads to kidney failure.
11. Reye’s Syndrome
- This side effect is noticed among teenagers and children. It is the damage to the vital organs of the body. The brain and the liver are the most affected. It is generally seen due to consumption of the medicine for flu or chicken pox. The reason how aspirin leads to such conditions is not known. Some of the early symptoms are vomiting and a continuous feeling of nausea.
These are some of the common side effects of consuming aspirin. It would be wrong to say that everyone consuming the medicine is suffering from them, but they do occur if you are consuming them regularly. If you are suffering from any of these then consult the doctor at once.
- Aspirin- https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/aspirin-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20152665?p=1
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding and fertility while taking low-dose aspirin- https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/low-dose-aspirin/pregnancy-breastfeeding-and-fertility-while-taking-low-dose-aspirin/
- Side effects of low-dose aspirin- https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/low-dose-aspirin/side-effects-of-low-dose-aspirin/
- Aspirin- https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a682878.html#side-effects
- LiverTox: Clinical and Research Information on Drug-Induced Liver Injury- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK548900/
- Evaluation of hearing level in patients on long term aspirin therapy- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5909044/
- NSAID hypersensitivity – recommendations for diagnostic work up and patient management- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6004000/
You Might Also Like:
- Common Risks Of Baking Soda
- Harmful Side Effects Of Activated Charcoal
- What Are The Risks Of Eating Too Much Sugar