A natural extract from a plant originating in Australia, tea tree oil is one of the best oil that helps in fighting against the troublesome issue of bed bugs. The many properties such as antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungal properties present helps fight the bugs.(1)
It is not only used to get rid of bed bugs but can also be used for several other treatments like acne. It is one of the most finest remedy which is available at any health store easily. In this article, we shall read how to use tea tree oil for bed bugs.
Is Tea Tree Oil Effective for Bed Bugs?
- The qualities of tea tree oil is used as a combination of insect repellent and as a medicine against the other insects.
- It has been used to kill many parasites.
- When we spray the oil on our bed sheets or any place or corner of our house if will suffocate the insect and because of that they may get washed off hence proving effective.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Bed Bugs
Let’s check out some remedies on how to use tea tree oil for bed bugs.
1. Lavender and Tea Tree oil
The smell of lavender oil is most powerful for many types of bugs like ants, mosquitoes etc . if you do happen to be bitten by one of those bugs, the lavender essential oil has anti-inflammatory qualities that will reduce the irritation and the pain linked with bug bites.(2)
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup of vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. of tea tree oil
- 1/4 tsp. of lavender oil
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
- Fill a spray bottle with 2 cups of water. Add 1/4 cup of vinegar and stir to mix the two ingredients.
- Add 1/4 tsp. of tea tree oil and 1/4 tsp. of lavender oil to the spray bottle. Shake well to combine all ingredients.
- Spray the mixture onto tables, dishes and other surfaces to disinfect the area.
Best time & Repetitions: You can spray it in the morning but only one time.
[ Read: How to Use Tea Tree oil for Piercings ]
2. Alcohol and Tea Tree oil
Alcohol helps in removing bed bugs giving a sure shot positive result.
- Tea tree oil
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
- Pour some alcohol and oil in spray bottle.
- Shake it well
- spray it on every corner of your bed.
Best time & Repetitions: Repeat this at least twice in a week to get immediate effects. It is best to spray when the place/area is not much in use.
Tea tree has been used for thousands of years by people. Now a days we also can read in many science booklet about the benefits of tea tree in various forms. In case of removing bed bugs it is most helpful as its can be mixed with many oils and is considered an effective antimicrobial treatment. The positive side of using the oil is that there are no side effects.
- Behavioral Responses of the Common Bed Bug to Essential Oil Constituents- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7926421/
- Study identifies essential oil compounds most toxic to bed bugs- https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2019/Q1/study-identifies-essential-oil-compounds-most-toxic-to-bed-bugs.html
You Might Also Like: