A bunion is a lump of bone is formed in the big toe at the base joint. It is formed whenever you wear tight shoes or due to some injury at that point. Sometimes person’s structure of bone is like that big toe is pushed toward the side on other toes of the foot. Resulting in enlarged joint of big toe and which eventually becomes painful. It also causes difficulty in walking and exercises.
Table of Contents
Best Ways to Get Rid of Bunions:
1. Make Changes in Lifestyle :
- Try to stay bare foot for longer period of time.
- Sometimes you inherit this tendency of getting bunions genetically from your parents or wearing tight shoes for a longer period.
- Walking barefoot for longer period will help in healing the bunions and will also prevent from reoccurring.
- Staying barefoot helps in strengthening the muscles of your feet.
- It also helps in realigning the original position of the bones.
- If bunions have become painful and are advanced then walking barefoot will worsen the condition. So in that case walk only on thick carpeted floors.
- Wearing padded socks will give you relief while doing your household activities or waling in the house.
- You can also wear thick and comfortable slippers in the house instead of padded socks. This will ease the pain in bunions and will relieve the pressure from your feet of wearing shoes.
2. Check Your Shoes:
- Your shoes can worsen the condition of bunions even if they look good and comfortable.
- Athletic and tennis shoes also worsen the condition of bunions.
- Wear shoes which are supportive with arches and good padding.
- Take your doctor’s advice before buying shoes if you do not know which type of shoes are good for the bunions.
- Always buy right size of shoes. Make sure that you are not wearing tight shoes because they will cause lots of pain in the bunions.
- Always make sure while trying new shoes that big toe should not touch the shoe end.
- Avoid wearing pointy toes or high heels as they are not good for bunions. They increase the pain amd prevent the healing.
3. Avoid Exercises and Activities:
- Avoid exercises and activities which can lead to the occurrence of bunions.Activities which require constrictive shoes and ballet dancing may also lead to occurrence of bunions.
4. Use Natural Remedies:
Do foot exercises which slow or even stop the progression preventing the requirement of surgery to treat your bunion. Try the exercises daily many after removing the shoes.
i). Stretch the Big Toe: Try to pull the big toe with the help of your fingers into right position with rest of the toes. Now stretch the toes. Make them straight for at least 10 seconds and then curl the toes for 10 seconds. Repeat this exercise for 10-15 times.
ii) Flex the Toes: Press the toes against the wall or the floor until the toes bent back. Try to hold the toes for 10 seconds and then release slowly. Repeat this exercise many times.
iii) Grip with the Toes: Start practicing to pick something like towel or cloth with the toes and then drop it. Repeat this exercise again and again.
5. Bunion Pad or Shoes:
- Buy shoe insert or bunion pad to realign your toes.
- If you notice bunion at an early stage then a bunion pad helps in relieving the pain and guide the toe back to its original position.
- Shoe inserts also help in realigning the toes while wearing shoes.
6. Tape Your Toes and Foot:
- Tape the toes and foot into their original position.
- Toes will get adapted to their normal position after they are taped together for one or two weeks as per requirement.
- You can take the assistance of your doctor for this process.
7. Alleviate the Pain:
- Firstly relieve the pain from bunions before starting any exercise.
- Soak the sore feet in a bowl of warm water for a minimum of 15-20 minutes. You will feel a soothing sensation in the joints with this hot feet bath. It will also relieve pain temporarily.
- Ice pack is also beneficial. Mainly for bad bunions it is the right choice. Fill ice in a plastic bag and cover it with a skinny towel. Apply this pack many times a day for 25 minutes increments.
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen helps in alleviating the pain.
8. For Moderate Bunions:
- Bunion- Aid is a bunion flexible splint which helps in relieving bunion pain. It is also scientifically proved.
9. Correcting Severe Bunions:
i) Consult the Doctor: In case of severe pain or your feet are not comfortable in the shoes then consult the physician without any further delay. The growth of bunions can be slowed down or halted. But we ourselves can’t treat the bunions without doctor’s help.
ii) Take only Prescribed Medication: Properly follow the advice of your doctor to avoid the bunions from getting in worse situation. Sometimes he will advice to change the life style or will give you the medication depending on the condition of bunions.
iii) Go for Surgery: Last option to get rid of bunions is to remove them surgically. Bone of the big toe is shaved and with other toes realignment is done. Bunion surgery is known to be the commonest cure for them. Bunionectomy surgery has many options. Take a research with the physician to make out which one will be the best for your bunions. Surgery always helps bunions but it never guarantee you to completely remove all the pain or your toe will again become perfectly straight. Follow the guidelines of surgery with proper exercises and good lifestyle to get rid of further inflammation and pain in bunions.
Some Important Tips:
- A bunion flexible splint like bunion aid helps in realigning the position of big toe and also maintains the foot mobility.
- Night splints are advised to be worn over the feet and toes at night in children to prevent bunions from developing. It helps in correcting bone growth. It is not effective in adults as feet are fully developed.
- Hope you find the information useful in treating your Bunions.
- Epsom Salt Foot Soak – Benefits & How To Do It The Right Way?
- 8 Effective Ways to Use Epsom Salt to Get Rid Of Boils Naturally