Indigestion is an uncomfortable burning sensation in the upper belly which is caused due to a pH imbalance in the gastrointestinal tract. Difficulty in digesting food, pain in the stomach and inability to eat properly are also symptoms of indigestion. Indigestion can be cured using antacids or over-the-counter medications but the use of natural home remedies has gained immense popularity.
Baking soda is a white crystalline compound found in our kitchens in a powdered form. It reacts with the acidic components of the baking products causing its expansion by releasing carbon dioxide. It is very easily available commercially and is a common household product that is used almost every day.
Baking Soda has been popularized for its use to treat Indigestion. Have a look below to check various methods for the same.
Table of Contents
- Does Baking Soda help Cure Indigestion?
- How to Use Baking Soda for Indigestion:
- 1. Baking Soda with Water:
- 2. Baking Soda with Honey:
- 3. Baking Soda with Lemon:
- 4. Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon:
- Tips and Precautions:
- Read Also:
- How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Heartburn Relief
- Baking Soda for Acid Reflux: Simple Methods that Really Work
- Home remedies for Heartburn(acid Reflux)
- How to Use Hydrogen Peroxide for Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- More from my site
Does Baking Soda help Cure Indigestion?
- Baking soda is said to neutralize the highly acidic pH in the stomach caused by indigestion.
- It helps in detoxifying the stomach and relieves us from the problem of acid reflux.
- It also relieves from the pain caused by indigestion.
- Baking soda is alkaline in nature (means it has a pH > 7) and reacts with the acids released in the gastrointestinal tract. It reacts with the acids to release carbon dioxide and hence neutralizing the acids that cause indigestion.
How to Use Baking Soda for Indigestion:
1. Baking Soda with Water:
- Mix one tablespoon of baking soda in one glass of water.
- Do not leave this liquid standing for too long. Stir and drink for relief from indigestion.
- Drink it whenever there is an acid reflux.
2. Baking Soda with Honey:
- This is mainly to reduce the burning sensation in the stomach.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with one teaspoon of raw honey in a glass of warm water.
- Drink this whenever there is a burning sensation due to indigestion in the stomach.
3. Baking Soda with Lemon:
- Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda in one cup of warm water.
- To this add half a teaspoon of squeezed lemon.
- Mix well and drink.
4. Baking Soda with Apple Cider Vinegar and Lemon:
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water.
- To this add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and half a teaspoon of squeezed lemon.
- Mix well and drink.
Tips and Precautions:
- Excessive and continued use of baking soda to treat indigestion is not recommended but it can be a healthy and safe alternative when used in rarity.
- Prolonged use of baking soda is not recommended as it can turn the pH levels of the stomach basic leading to abdominal problems.
- It is sometimes used for teeth whitening but is said to have certain side-effects as it can damage the tooth enamel and thus cause sensitivity and related problems and even cavities if the use is continued.
It is advised not to leave liquids containing baking soda standing for too long as it is becomes ineffective if left for a while.