These blue colored berries just not looks good alone, but are also delicious. They have multiple benefits that can work wonders for the health. They are grown in many parts of the world, especially in Europe and U.S. The berries are of 3 types and differs in nutritional value. The Rabbit eye blueberries, Low bush berries and the High bush berries are the variants of blueberries. One has to be careful while choosing the berries. Though all the variants are delicious and beneficial to health, one can pick it up depending on the nutrients. They are available throughout the year and can be found in supermarkets. They can also be bought and stores. Here are the selection and storage tips:
Table of Contents
- Selection Tips:
- Storage Tips:
- Usage Tips:
- Nutritional Benefits of Blueberries:
- Health Benefits of Blueberries:
- 1. Regulates Blood Pressure:
- 2. Deals with Constipation:
- 3. Sharpens Memory:
- 4. Deals with Infections:
- 5. GIves you a Better Vision:
- 6. Deals with Heart Problems:
- 7. Prevents Cancer:
- 8. Helps in Weight Reduction:
- 9. Controls Mood Fluctuations and Stress:
- 10. Reduces Belly Fats:
- Skin Benefits of Blueberries:
- 11. Repairs Damaged Skin:
- 12. Heals Broken Capillaries:
- 13. Improves Texture of the Skin:
- 12. Helps in Skin Toning:
- 13. Exfoliates the Skin:
- 14. Nourishes Skin:
- Hair Benefits of Blueberries:
- 15. Improves Hair Growth:
- 16. Slows Process of Hair Ageing:
- 17. Strengthens the Hair:
- More from my site
• Opt for firm and colored berries.
• Choose the berries that moves while shaking. If there is no movement, it is an indication that the berries are damaged.
• Choose the moisture free berries as moisture decays the berries.
• Avoid the berries that are stuck together.
• Do wash the berries before storing it or consuming it.
• Keep the berries in a covered container and refrigerate it.
• Avoid storing berries in room temperature as they might get damaged.
• The ripe berries can be frozen up.
• A clean plastic bag can be used to store the berries.
• It can be eaten as fruit.
• It can be added in desserts.
• It can be used as topping on pizza or cheese.
• It is an ingredient in muffins and cakes.
• It can be used to make syrup as well.
Nutritional Benefits of Blueberries:
They are a great source of Vitamins, sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, zinc, manganese and lots more. The following are the vivid benefits of Blueberries:
Health Benefits of Blueberries:
1. Regulates Blood Pressure:
It is must for human body to have a balanced blood pressure. Any rise or dip in blood pressure will harm the body. When the body fails to produce the required level of insulin in the body, Type 2 diabetes is said to incur. Blueberries are said to regulate the blood pressure. They gel up with the blood glucose level and lowers the sugar level, leading to controlled blood pressure.
2. Deals with Constipation:
The improper digestion might lead to constipation, wherein the stool gets hardened. Blueberries are a great source of fibre and other vitamins that smoothens the digestion process, thereby regulating the bowel movement.
3. Sharpens Memory:
If you are looking for a food that will improve the memory of your child, blueberries are your answer. If you also wish to deal with age related memory power, this fruit can suffice your purpose. They possess the power to stimulate the neurons and help the brain to function better.
4. Deals with Infections:
Infections are common these days and they can occur anytime and from anywhere. Though, we try to maintain a superior level of hygiene, yet we contact infections. If you are suffering from any urinary tract infection, a bowl of blueberries can suffice your purpose.
5. GIves you a Better Vision:
Age is a great factor for vision related problems. The Vision decreases as we start getting aged. We also tend to contact myopia, cataract, hypermetropia and other eye related issues. Blueberries has anthocyanosides which preserves the vision and helps to improve it.
6. Deals with Heart Problems:
Heart attacks are a major reason for increase in the death rate these days. Bad cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes and respiratory issues are some of the common reason for attacks to take place. The fiber that is present in blueberries protects the heart as it control the bad cholesterol.
7. Prevents Cancer:
Ellagic Acid and Pterostilbene are must to prevent cancer in the body. And guess what, Blueberries are a great source of these components. A handful of these berries once in a day is enough to prevent cancer.
8. Helps in Weight Reduction:
Blueberries are low in calories and are also filling in nature. They help in controlling your weight. They also possess arteriosclerosis which prevents the extra cholesterol to be deposited in the body.
9. Controls Mood Fluctuations and Stress:
Stress has become the biggest disease these days. It has engulfed everyone leading to depression and other serious mental disorders. The imbalance in hormones leads to an imbalance in mood swings, thus we tend to become more cranky. Blueberries contains antioxidants that deals with stress levels and keeps a check on the stress levels.
10. Reduces Belly Fats:
The fats formed in and around belly region is difficult to depart with. The abdominal fat might lead to heart attacks. The dietary fibers present in blueberries controls the fat cells. It is also said to stabilize the sugar levels in the body and prevent the formation of fat cells.
Skin Benefits of Blueberries:
11. Repairs Damaged Skin:
A lot of free radicals are present in the skin which hampers the skin. The antioxidants present in the blueberries prevents the damage and ensures a good looking and fresh skin.
12. Heals Broken Capillaries:
If the blood vessels under the skin weakens, there are tiny lines that starts appearing on the skin. SOoner or later these lines becomes visible on the skin. Thus, there are broken capillaries under the skin which needs to be repaired to prevent these lines form appearing on the skin. Blueberries has nutritional values to strengthen these blood vessels.
13. Improves Texture of the Skin:
The digestive fibre ensures that the toxins are out from the body. This will benefit the skin as well. The bad cholesterol and fat is also absorbed by these fibres. This leads to a healthy skin.
12. Helps in Skin Toning:
Having a healthy skin is just not sufficient, one must have an even skin tone too. An uneven skin tone will show different colors on the skin and will take away the charm from you. Blueberries are a must to achieve the even skin tone.
Here is the recipe:
Ingredients You Need:
- Take 2 cups of blueberries in a container and crush it off.
- Add 2 cups of honey to it.
- Add 2 cups of yogurt to it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of oatmeal to it.
How to Do:
- Mix all the ingredients well. Cleanse your face in such a way that the dirt is completely off.
- Apply the newly made pack on your face. Allow it to dry for few minutes. Wash it off with normal water.
- The skin will be looking fresh and toned.
- Use this face pack twice a week for better results.
13. Exfoliates the Skin:
The dead cells that are piled up on the skin needs to be warded off from the skin for the fresh supply of the oxygen. Exfoliation is the only solution to it. The burberry scrub will do the needful. The burberry scrub can be purchased in a general store or it can be prepared at home as well.
14. Nourishes Skin:
The dull and dry skin needs to be pampered and supplied with necessary ingredients to nourish it. You can simply crush the blueberries and apply it on the face. leave it for few minutes and rinse it off with cold water. A regular application of this pack will definitely moisturize your skin.
Hair Benefits of Blueberries:
15. Improves Hair Growth:
We all long for hair like rapunzel, but it is difficult. She had hair till the ankle length and it is a bliss to have such hair. It requires immense care and effort to grow hair and maintain it. Blueberry contains Vitamin B complex which helps to improve hair growth. The oxygen and blood circulation must be increased to the scalp to initiate hair growth. Vitamin B complex initiates blood circulation to the scalp.
16. Slows Process of Hair Ageing:
The hair tends to age as the body grows old. There could be various factors such as junk food, hormonal imbalance, usage of electrical products on hair and so on that causes hair ageing. Grey hair is an indication that the hair is getting aged. Blueberries helps in slowing down this process, thereby maintaining the look and texture of the hair.
17. Strengthens the Hair:
Blueberry is a major ingredient in most of the hair shampoo and hair care products. Next time if you happen to purchase any hair care product, do read the ingredients and you will see blueberry added. It has anthocyanidins which strengthens the hair follicles from the roots. Thus, you can buy a product that contains blueberries. Do check the expiry date on the product before buying it. Adding this fruit directly to your diet can do wonders to your health.
Hope this article has been useful to you. Blueberries have shown results in the past. You can also check the online reviews or ask a friend who has been using this fruit. Meanwhile, do not miss to add it to your diet on regular basis. It doesn’t have any side-effects, hence can cause no harm to it. Do not expect immediate results as natural remedies takes times. Do let us know your views on this article.
Image Credit:- 1
- 20 Amazing Health benefits of Honey
- 10 Benefits of Edamame for Skin, Health and Hair
- 16 Amazing Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- 10 Health Benefits of Chlorophyll