Buckwheat is a cereal which has its roots in North Europe and china. It was found among the wild, till people started cultivating it after knowing the benefits. Buckwheat contains iron, proteins, amino acids, zinc, copper, carbohydrates and necessary vitamins & minerals. It is triangular in shape and the hull must be removed to consume buckwheat. Buckwheat must be added to regular diet. It can be in the raw form or roasted form. You can also make porridge out of Buckwheat if you dislike the taste of Buckwheat. Buckwheat can also be a substitute for cereals like oats, barley and so on. You can get the Buckwheat flour if you wish to substitute it for wheat. Buckwheat is a boon to the people who are allergic to gluten. Always opt for darker shades of as they are more nutritious when compared to the lighter ones. The following are the various benefits of buckwheat:(1)
Health benefits of buckwheat
Supplies Proteins to the Body
It has ample amount of proteins which is a must to generate energy. Vegetarians can completely rely on this cereal to avoid protein deficiency in the body.
Lowers Blood Pressure
The rutin present in buckwheat helps to stabilize the blood pressure. This rutin is extracted from the leaves of the buckwheat plant. Thus, it a way to control high blood pressure.(2)
If you are looking for an alternative to stuff your pillow, use buckwheat. It is non-allergic in nature and prevents allergy pertaining to dust and pollen.(3)
It is said to control diabetes due to the glycemic index. It has a glycemic index of 54 which controls blood sugar levels in the body.(4)
The intestines must be cleansed on everyday basis for a smooth digestion to take place. Buckwheat has neutral thermal properties to help in digestion.(5)
People are allergic to gluten, can consume buckwheat as it is gluten free. Celiacs people can also try out this.(6)
If you are a victim of high cholesterol and hypertension, do not worry. Buckwheat is a solution for it. It has properties that will suppress bad cholesterol in the body. Gallstones can also be prevented by regular consumption of Buckwheat.(7)
Buckwheat contains antioxidants like flavonoids which are just not good for skin, but also for health. It protects the body from diseases due to the deficiency of vitamin C.(8)
Relaxes Blood Vessels
The magnesium present in Buckwheat relaxes the blood vessels, thereby improving the blood circulation in the body. This also strengthens the muscles and joints.
Controls Childhood Asthma
The fiber present in this triangle shaped grain prevents asthma in children. However, do consult a doctor if the asthma is severe.(9)
Protects Breast Cancer
Breast cancer can be prevented by Enterolactone. The phytonutrient plant lignan gets converted to mammalian lignans in the intestines, which prevents breast cancer.(10)
Prevents Liver Disorders
The vitamin B-complex present in buckwheat prevents the occurrence of disorders related to liver. The liver must be strong enough to carry out the functions of the body.(11)
Looking for a low calorie food that will help you in suppressing your appetite? Buckwheat can be used by all the obese people to manage their weight. It contains inositol which prevents fat formation. It is filling in nature and controls hunger. It also increases the metabolic rate of the body which burns the fats.
[ Read: High Protein Low Carb Foods List ]
A common fear these days is depression. Everyone has a reason for stress. When the stress becomes unbearable, it turns to depression. It must be controlled at an earlier stage to prevent further damage to the body. The tryptophan present in buckwheat has a great influence on the mood swings. It boosts positivity in human brain and prevents depression.
Improves Gut Health
The gut health is important to prevent constipation. Buckwheat contains fibre which is essential to keep the guts healthy. Make a porridge or add to your recipes to get the benefits of buckwheat. Pancakes can also be tried out using buckwheat.
Food for Postmenopausal Women
Women are said to undergo a lot of mood swings postmenopausal. They also have hormonal changes which might lead to other ailments such as breast cancer, high cholesterol, strokes and so on. Munch few buckwheat seeds to add benefit to your health.
Skin Benefits of Buckwheat
Protects Skin Damage
The rutin present in buckwheat has a great impact on skin care. It prevents the sun damage to the skin, hence is used in most of the sunscreen lotions and creams. The ultraviolet rays has a permanent damage to the skin. Too much exposure to sun might cause skin cancer as well. Hence, take all the measures before stepping out in the sun.(12)
The premature ageing of the skin can be prevented by antioxidants and flavonoids present in buckwheat.
Adds Glow to the Skin
Tried all the home remedies to add glow to the skin, yet lack that charm on your skin? The magnesium present in buckwheat calms the blood vessels, thereby increasing the blood circulation. This will add glow to the skin.
[ Read: Top 8 Homemade Banana Face Mask Recipes ]
Improves Skin Elasticity
The polyunsaturated fatty acids present in buckwheat increases the elasticity of the skin. This will improve the health of your skin.
Hair Benefits of Buckwheat
Increases Hair Length
Looking for a solution to add growth to your hair? The complex carbohydrates and Whole grain-carbohydrates are essential for hair growth. Buckwheat has both of them. It also has zinc and vitamins to strengthen the hair.(13)
Improves Hair Texture
Vitamin B6 is soluble in water. As the body cannot produce vitamin B6, an additional source has to be chosen to fulfill the body’s need. Buckwheat is a source of vitamin B6 which makes it vital for hair care products.
Hope this article has been useful to you. It would be wise of you if you add buckwheat to your daily diet. The body needs lots of nutrition on a regular basis. We have a change in our lifestyle, which demands a change in the food habits as well.
Best Buckwheat Flours
- Flour, buckwheat- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/2512374/nutrients
- Fagopyrum tataricum (Buckwheat) Improved High-Glucose-Induced Insulin Resistance in Mouse Hepatocytes and Diabetes in Fructose-Rich Diet-Induced Mice- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3324901/
- Phytochemicals and biofunctional properties of buckwheat- https://www.academia.edu/7121771/Phytochemicals_and_biofunctional_properties_of_buckwheat_a_review
- Buckwheat concentrate reduces serum glucose in streptozotocin-diabetic rats- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/14640572/
- Buckwheat Protein Extract Ameliorates Atropine-Induced Constipation in Rats- https://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.456.619&rep=rep1&type=pdf
- Safeness of Diets Based on Gluten-Free Buckwheat Bread Enriched with Seeds and Nuts—Effect on Oxidative and Biochemical Parameters in Rat Serum- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7019513/
- Buckwheat and CVD Risk Markers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5986499/
- Antioxidant capacity and bioaccessibility of buckwheat-enhanced wheat bread phenolics- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4711486/
- A Review on Epidemiological and Clinical Studies on Buckwheat Allergy- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8005110/
- Anti-Tumor Activity of a Novel Protein Obtained from Tartary Buckwheat- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3100852/
- Breeding Buckwheat for Increased Levels of Rutin, Quercetin and Other Bioactive Compounds with Potential Antiviral Effects- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7760024/
- Nutrition of women with hair loss problem during the period of menopause- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4828511/
You Might Also Like:
- 7 Delicious And Healthy Soup Recipes For Weight Loss
- The 3 Day Diet Plan for Weight Loss
- Top 10 Benefits of Being A Vegetarian
- Is Belvita Bars Act As A Healthy Breakfast
- Heard About Hemorrhoids But Have No Clue About It?
- 10 Foods Are High in Nitrogen Add in Your Diet