Superfoods are just like our superheroes- saving us from the qualms!
Adding to your list of superfoods, Camu Camu is a powerhouse of ascorbic acid and antioxidants. It is one of the berries loaded with nutrients and enriched with vitamins that benefit health in different ways.
In this post, we will discuss everything about Camu Camu, along with its potential benefits and side effects.
Camu Camu Benefits
What Is Camu Camu?
Camu Camu aka Myrciaria dubia is a sour berry, native to Latin America. It grows in swampy areas of the Amazon rainforests of Colombia, Peru, Brazil, and Venezuela. It is also popular with names like cacari or camocamo.
Camu Camu’s fruit that looks like cherry and leaves has medicinal properties. This plant is one of the best sources of Vitamin C, which is crucial for a healthy immune system.
At the same time, it consists of antioxidants like flavonoids, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid that protect the body from oxidative stress and defend it against free radical damage.
Additionally, the impressive amino acid profile with serine, valine, and leucine helps in muscular growth. The high level of potassium and beta carotene and anti-inflammatory properties of Camu Camu also make it one potential plant to take advantage of.
Camu Camu berries are tart in taste; therefore, this plant is generally found in the form of a supplement such as pills, juice, or powders. It is generally safe for everyone with no side effects.
How Does Camu Camu Work For Hair?
Camu Camu can be used in two forms for hair health- as supplement capsules and oil. However, the best results come when camu oil is applied directly to the scalp and hair.
Vitamin C and antioxidants boost the collagen level on the scalp, which aids in reducing age-related hair issues. Moreover, it helps hair in the following ways-
- Improve hair shine
- Fight off dandruff
- Prevent premature greying of hair
- Combat against hair loss
- Prevent hair from growing weak, brittle, and thin
Top Camu Camu Benefits
- Furnishes Vitamin C to the body- It strengthens the immune system and boosts collagen production that supports muscles, bones, and skin health.
- Consists of powerful antioxidants– With potent compounds like flavonoids, anthocyanins, and ellagic acid, it protects the cell from damage caused by free radicals that reduce signs of aging.
- Reduces Inflammation– Studies have shown that intake of Camu Camu reduces inflammation significantly.
- Aids in weight loss– By helping burn calories and altering gut bacteria positively, Camu Camu is beneficial for weight loss.
- Improve blood sugar level– Research showed that regular consumption of Camu Camu reduced the hike in blood sugar levels after having a high carbohydrate diet.
- Ensures healthier blood pressure– By promoting dilation of blood vessels, Camu Camu supports healthy blood pressure.
- Anti-microbial properties– Studies revealed that Camu Camu reduces bacterial growth of bacteria like Streptococcus mutans and Escherichia coli.
Side Effects Of Camu Camu
Camu Camu is a rich source of ascorbic acid, providing 682 mg of Vitamin C in just one teaspoon. The potential side effects of camu camu are related to its high vitamin C content.
The Tolerable Upper Limit (TUL) of Vitamin C is 2,000 mg per day. Any amount lower than TUL are safe for human consumption. However, consuming more may lead to the following-
- Upset stomach
Moreover, Vitamin C aids in iron absorption; therefore, the chances of getting overloaded with iron may also arise. However, since Vitamin C is a water-soluble compound, it is not stored in the body for long.
Another potential side-effect could be an alteration in serotonin levels that can lead to reduced appetite and insomnia. At the same time, it can also cause an increased heart rate among people with tachycardia.
Camu Camu is a true superfood and generally safe for everyone when taken in the prescribed dosage. It can boast awesome health benefits as it is a powerhouse of Vitamin C and antioxidants.
From supporting a healthy immune system to reducing inflammation, improving hair and skin, and benefitting overall health, Camu Camu is a potent remedy for multiple health issues.
Since the taste of Camu Camu is tart, it is better to take it as a supplement or add the powder to your yogurt, smoothies, and other dishes. When consumed properly and in the right amount, it delivers immense nutrients to the body, which is great for health.
You Might Also Like:
- Yoga for Immunity
- 9 Benefits of Strawberries For Health
- Top 8 Benefits of Red Marine Algae
- Oziva Bettr.D3K2+ Review
- Oziva Superfood Plant Protein For Everyday Fitness
- 10 Healthy Foods That May Help Boost Testosterone
- 25 Best Aphrodisiac Foods