Do you want to build strong, sleeve-filling arms? Does Arnie-sized upper body is what you crave for? Or Do you want to build a broader chest, bulging biceps, and titanic triceps? Well…fret not! You’ve stumped on the right place! Body weight exercises are excellent in absence of weights, however using weights will give you that extra advantage in isolating certain muscle groups and make them grow at a rapid pace.
It’s rightly said that “Give a man a pair of dumbbells, and he can crank out a few sets of curls and sculpt his biceps. But give a man a pair of dumbbells and a full-fledged plan, and he can transform his entire body in a month. Crank out this routine three or four times a week for some outstanding arm results.
Dumbbell Bench Press
To build a strong chest, dumbbell bench press plays a quintessential part. While dumbbells allow flexible movement and activate numerous stabilizing muscles, it must be coupled with barbell bench press as well.
How to do:
- Lie down on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand resting on top of your thighs. Your palms must be facing each other.
- Then, lift the dumbbells one at a time so that you can hold them in front of you at shoulder width.
- Now, rotate your wrists forward, keeping the dumbbells just to the sides of your chest, with your upper arm and forearm creating a 90 degree angle. This will be your starting position.
- Then, as you breathe out, by using chest, push the dumbbells up. Lock your arms at the top of the lift and squeeze your chest, hold on for a second and then begin coming down slowly.
Expert tip: Ideally, lowering the weight should take about twice as long as raising it.
Number of Repetitions: Repeat the movement for 12 reps (3 sets).
[ Read: Arm Exercises for Women ]
Wide Bicep Curl
This variation in bicep curl exercise will bring more complete bicep development and brings the sought-after “peak” in particular. Furthermore, it’s great for building overall size; it gives the arm that “beefy” look many weight trainers aspire to.
How to do:
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than hips-width- distance apart.
- Hold dumbbell in both hands and keep your arms out wide with a slight bend in the elbows, palms facing up.
- Return to your plank position, then switch and do it from your left knee towards right elbow.
- Pull the weights toward your eyes.
- Extend the arms out wide again to complete one rep.
Number of Repetitions: Do 15 reps in 3 sets.
[ Read: Exercises To Get Rid Of Flabby Arms ]
Bent Over Row with Dumbbells
To build a strong back, this exercise is quite important and this will strengthen your shoulders, upper arms, and core. Most importantly, this will help you perform many everyday activities with greater ease and less discomfort.
How to do:
- Holding a dumbbell in each hand, hinge forward from your hips, bending the knees slightly.
- Bend your elbows behind you while keeping your back firm and look forward.
- Straighten your arms behind you with your palms facing in. Keeping your arms parallel to the floor, squeeze your triceps and return to the starting position.
- This counts as one rep.
Number of Repetitions: 15 Reps in 3 sets.
[ Read: Best Exercises to Tone Your Arms ]
Overhead Shoulder Press Dumbbell
If you want to increase the strength throughout the shoulders and engage the core for stability, then overhead shoulder press dumbbell is one exercise you need to include in your daily workout regime. This exercise will help you identify whether you have an imbalance in your shoulder strength or not.
How to do:
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Sit on a utility bench with a back support.
- Place the dumbbells up right on top of your thighs.
- Now, raise the dumbbells to shoulder height. Make sure to rotate your wrists. This is your starting position.
- Now, exhale and push the dumbbells upward toward the ceiling until they almost touch each other at the top. Hold on there for one second.
- Lower the weights back down to the starting position while inhaling.
Number of Repetitions: 15-18 reps in 3 sets.
[ Read: How to Lose Arm Fat ]
Upright Row Dumbbell
Did you ever imagine that lifting two dumbbells till your chest can build your shoulders like boulders? Well, this exercise will shock your upper body and core to the maximum. Moreover, it will help in building shoulder strength and muscle hypertrophy.
How to do:
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, with a dumbbell in each hand.
- Your shoulders should be over your pelvis, with knees slightly bent.
- Lift the dumbbells by raising your elbows until they reach your chest.
- Slide them back down slowly to your waist, and repeat.
Number of Repetitions: 10 reps (3 sets).
[ Read: Best Workouts To Reduce Back Fat ]
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions
This exercise will improve the strengthen the triceps muscles and to even out any imbalances between sides. Furthermore, this exercise will improve the functionality, flexibility, and range of motion of your arm.
How to do:
- Stand with your feet hip-distance apart.
- Hold both dumbbells in each hand, bending the elbows behind your head.
- Straighten your arms to lift the dumbbells into the air, then slowly bend the arms to lower backward. This counts as one rep.
Number of Repetitions: 12-15 reps in 3 sets.
[ Read: Best Exercises to Lose Weight Easily ]
Biceps Curl Dumbbell
The most basic biceps exercise which not only increase the size of your bicep muscles but also improves your cardio respiratory fitness and flexibility. Most importantly, the muscle definition and increased strength are clearly noticeable within a few sessions, which is extremely motivating.
How to do:
- This variation involves both the dumbells at the same time.
- Start with holding dumbell in each hand. Keep your elbows loose, arms and feet loose.
- Now, bring lift both the dumbells together and squeeze. Control the negative while bringing the dumbells on starting position.
- Don’t forget to breathe in as you come down.
- Bring it slow to put stress on bicep muscles.
- Repeat the movement slowly.
Number of Repetitions: 10 Reps in 3 sets.
These exercises will help you tone up your arms. However, they won’t help you melt the fat off your arms, but they can help you shed off the weight across your whole body and reveal the bulging muscles you worked so hard to build.