Herpes is a sexually transmitted disease that affects the skin, genitals and cervix and is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus (HSV). It is a chronic condition transmitted mainly through sexual contact. Symptoms include pain while urinating, vaginal discharge, high body temperature or fever, cold sores around the mouth, and blisters in the cervix and vaginal area.
Oregano oil is obtained from the leaves of the oregano herb. Oregano oil is mainly used for medicinal purposes. It is a potential anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral agent. It helps in inhibiting the growth of harmful bacteria that cause the herpes sores. Oregano oil’s ability to help combat herpes shall be discussed here.
Table of Contents
Can Oregano Oil be Used for Herpes?
- A number of studies from all over the world have proved oregano oil as a potent killer of the herpes simplex virus (HSV) that causes herpes owing to its ant-viral and anti-fungal properties. It destroys the cell membrane of the virus not allowing its growth and reproduction.
- It contains a powerful natural antibiotic compound called carvacrol.
- This compound damages the outer membrane of the organism, not allowing further growth and infection.
- Oregano oil is usually used as 100% pure oil for curing herpes. Some carrier oils can be used with it; for example: olive oil or coconut oil.
How to Use Oregano Oil for Herpes?
1. Oregano Oil:
- Oregano oil can be made by steaming oregano leaves.
- Use the liquid obtained by applying it directly on the herpes affected skin.
- Leave it on for about 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully rinse and clean the area after treatment.
- This can be done every day till the Herpes is cured eventually.
2. Oregano Oil Drops with Coconut Oil:
- Oregano oil can be used with a little bit of olive oil or coconut oil. These would act as carrier oils for oregano oil.
- One drop of this can be placed under the tongue to enhance its anti-viral effects by being absorbed by the nervous system and into the bloodstream.
Tips and Precautions:
- There are no documented side-effects of using oregano oil except that it may cause slight irritation on the area where it is used when used in high concentrations. Do a patch test to check if it is causing you irritation; if it is, dilute it before using. If it still causes irritation, consult a doctor about it.
- Use only pure 100% oregano oil for treatment of herpes. Pure oregano oil contains enough carvacrol to kill the herpes simplex virus.
- Do not share toiletries or bed linen with anyone when affected by herpes. It is a contagious disease and may spread to others also.
- Oregano oil also helps prevent further outbreaks of herpes which is very common once infected by the herpes simplex virus.
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Herpes
- How to Get Rid of Herpes Overnight
- Top 50 Oregano Oil Benefits For Good Health
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Fever Blisters