Scabies is a skin infection caused due to infestation of a microbial mite. The infection is characterized by severe itching and pimple-like rashes all over the affected skin. The rashes are present all over the skin but most commonly on the wrists, between the fingers and along the waistline. Direct contact with an infected person poses a great risk of spreading the disease as it is highly contagious.
A number of anti-septic creams and lotions are available in the market to cure scabies. However, the presence of chemicals poses risks as its use on the skin might further the infections. Naturally derived products are nowadays leading the way to treat skin disorders and Tea tree essential oil has been one of the most commonly used of them. Let’s discuss its use to cure scabies.
Table of Contents
- Does Tea Tree Oil Help with Scabies?
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Scabies:
- 1. Tea Tree Oil with Body Wash:
- 2. Tea Tree Oil with Sesame Oil and Olive Oil:
- Tips and Precautions:
- Read Also:
- How to Use Neem Oil for Scabies
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Ingrown Hair
- Does Tea Tree Oil Get Rid of Boils?
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Keloids?
- More from my site
Does Tea Tree Oil Help with Scabies?
Tea tree oil is mostly used as a topically applied essential oil and hence has a number of benefits in curing skin related disorders and maintaining skin health.
- Tea tree oil is an anti-bacterial essential oil capable of killing bacteria that cause infections.
- It has wound healing properties which help in prevention or removal of scars, rashes and other marks on the skin caused by infections and allergies.
- It is an excellent anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal.
- The strong smell of tea tree oil also prevents other infections.
How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Scabies:
Tea tree oil has extensively been used in skin care products and other cosmetics; hence it can be used in combination with these products.
1. Tea Tree Oil with Body Wash:
- Add around 2 teaspoons of tea tree oil to 8-oz of body wash. Mix this well.
- Use this body wash once every day while bathing till thee scabies gets cured.
2. Tea Tree Oil with Sesame Oil and Olive Oil:
- Mix 1 portion of tea tree oil with 5 portions of either olive or sesame oil.
- This mixture of oils can be applied on the body gently as a lotion.
- It can be applied twice everyday- usually as soon as after waking up and before going to bed until the symptoms subside.
Tips and Precautions:
- Scabies is a highly contagious disease and hence any product used should be kept out of reach of others.
- Tea tree oil is toxic when ingested orally and causes irritation to the mucus membrane when swallowed; thus, care must be taken while using tea tree oil.
- Excessive use of tea tree oil can cause skin allergies, rashes, redness and skin infections. Therefore remember that moderation is the key.
The strong camphor-like smell of tea tree oil can cause nausea and vomiting if used regularly.