Several factors contribute to causing earaches that include ear-wax accumulation, entry of a foreign particle in the ear and many more. Ear is linked to the nose and throat with a common tract, hence, a nasal or throat problem can also lead to an earache.
Can Apple Cider Vinegar Cure Earaches?
- Due to the anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of acetic acid present in apple cider vinegar, it is listed as a common home remedy for curing earaches.(1)
- Apple cider vinegar can rectify the pH imbalances caused by bacterial growth.
- Acetic acid content of apple cider vinegar helps in killing the bacteria hence curing the ear ache.(3)
- It is also listed as an anti-inflammatory compound and helps reduce the inflammation.
How To Use Apple Cider Vinegar For Earaches
Apple cider vinegar is a commonly used anti-microbial used for curing bacterial and viral infestations. As the name suggests, apple cider vinegar is a vinegar made of apple cider or apple must. It is commonly used as a salad dressing and many a time also as a preservative in a fashion similar to the way traditional vinegar is used. It has a very high concentration of acetic acid just like vinegar, hence helps in treating the microbial growth related causes of ear ache.(4)
1. Apple Cider Vinegar and Water for Earache
- apple cider vinegar
- cotton ball
Preparation time: 3 minutes.
How to do:
- Mix one part of apple cider vinegar with one part of water.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture.
- Place this cotton ball in your ear for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the cotton ball and lay on the other side or tilt the head to drain any excess liquid from the ear.
- Ensure that your ear is dry and repeat the steps for the other ear.
Repetitions: Follow this process daily once.
[ Read: Tea Tree oil for Earache ]
2. Apple Cider Vinegar and Alcohol for Earache
- apple cider vinegar
- cotton swab
Preparation time: 2 minutes.
How to do:
- Mix apple cider vinegar with equal proportion of alcohol.
- Soak a sterile cotton ball or swab in this mixture of apple cider vinegar.
- Place this cotton swab or ball in the ear for some time.
- Let the cotton be in the ear for a while and after a while remove the cotton swab and allow the mixture to drain out of the ear.
- Ensure that the ear has dried out and repeat for a few times to ensure that the ear ache is cured.
Repetitions: Follow this remedy once a day till relief from earache.
[ Read: How to Treat Earache with Olive oil ]
Tips and Precautions:
- The long-term effects of apple cider vinegar are unknown. Hence it is advisable to use it only as a short-term remedy. It is thus advisable to consult an ENT specialist if the earaches persist.
- Any residual liquid in the ear canal can cause further enhancement in bacterial and viral growth in the ear canal. It is thus highly advisable to ensure that the ear is dried thoroughly after treatment with apple cider vinegar. If the ear is not dried properly it may create further complications.
- Mixing apple cider vinegar with warm water only is advisable as it helps reduce the effects of acetic acid on skin (if any).
- Antifungal Activity of Apple Cider Vinegar on Candida Species Involved in Denture Stomatitis- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25219289/
- The antibacterial activity and stability of acetic acid- https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195670113001849
- Vinegar: Medicinal Uses and Antiglycemic Effect- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1785201/
You Might Also Like: