You wake up in the morning with a piercing earache, and all you want is silence and a quick fix. A leaking faucet turns into your worst enemy. Even a mild earache can leave you writhing in pain. The most common causes of earache include ear wax build-up and ear infection and, many a time, it is triggered by infections that may require antibiotic therapy.
8 Simple Home Remedies For Earache
Here are some home remedies for earache that actually unclog your ears, ease the infection, and eliminate the pain.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has a lot of anti-inflammatory ingredients that help to combat ear infections and reduce ear pain
- Apple cider vinegar
- You can introduce a few drops of ACV into the ear canal using the dropper. Let it air-dry.
- Repeat this every 12 hours until the earache subsides.
[ Recommended: How To Use Sweet Oil For Earache Relief ]
Tea Tree oil
Tea tree oil, also called as Melaleuca oil, is a well-known antiseptic agent. In combination with the olive oil, it will reduce your ear pain and also remove all infection-causing organisms.
- A few drops of tea tree oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cotton swab
- Dilute the tea tree oil in the olive oil and pour a drop or two into the affected ear.
- Keep the head tilted for a minute so that the affected ear faces the ceiling.
- Come back to upright position and clean the liquid that is coming out from the ear.
- Repeat this once or twice a day, depending upon how quickly your earache heals.
The cleansing nature of hydrogen peroxide can be used for flushing out the foreign material that triggered the infection. A clear ear will definitely be pain-free.
- 3% hydrogen peroxide
- Ear plug
- Ear swabs
- Instill a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in your ear with the dropper and keep your canal closed with an ear plug for a few minutes.
- Remove the plug and use ear swabs to clean the debris.
- Repeat this after a few hours, if required.
[ Recommended: How to Cure Earache with Onion ]
Breast milk is loaded with antioxidants, which will solve the issue that is causing the ear pain, which is usually an ear infection. This milk also relieves the pain and reduces inflammation.
- Fresh breast milk
- Drip a few drops of the breast milk in the affected ear carefully.
- Let it sit for five to seven minutes and then drain out the excess.
- Repeat this twice or thrice a day.
Olive oil with herbal additives is widely used as a remedy for earache. However, very few know that this oil alone can be used to lubricate your ear and prevent infections.
- Virgin olive oil
- Cotton swab
- Warm up the olive oil. Tilt your head such that the affected ear is facing the ceiling.
- Pour two to three drops of the warm oil into the affected ear.
- Stay in that position for about five minutes and keep your head upright.
- Clean any excess oil and other debris that come out of the ear with the cotton swab.
- You can also dip a Q-tip in olive oil and rub it inside the ear.
- Repeat this twice a day.
[ Recommended: How to Treat Earache With Tea Tree Oil ]
Garlic oil is packed with antibacterial and antiviral properties that will deliver a lethal blow to your earache.
- 5 garlic cloves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 20 drops eucalyptus oil
- Crush the garlic cloves and heat them with the olive oil and eucalyptus oil.
- Instill a few drops of this infusion in the affected to get rid of the infection in no time.
- Alternatively, you can prepare an infusion of minced garlic and sesame oil for quick relief from earache.
- Drip this mixture into the affected ear twice a day.
Apart from relieving the pain and the swelling, coconut oil contains lauric acids, which give this oil its antimicrobial properties. This makes coconut oil a versatile home remedy for earache.
- Virgin coconut oil
- Cotton ball
- Put a few drops of the oil in the affected ear and cover with the cotton ball.
- Open and close the jaw a few times so that the oil reaches all corners inside the ear and relieves the pain.
- Remove the cotton ball and excess oil after 10 to 15 minutes.
- You can repeat this twice a day.
Castor oil is known to fasten the healing process and will help in relieving ear pain. It is also antifungal in nature.
- Castor oil
- Cotton ball
- Lightly warm up the castor oil and put a few drops in the affected ear.
- Close the ear with the cotton ball and let the oil stay in for a few minutes.
- After this, remove the cotton ball and clean out the debris and excess oil.
- Use this remedy twice a day until the earache goes away.
Quite a few of the remedies listed above have been used for decades to deal with earache. You must have heard of some of them from your grandmother as well. Use them and get relief from the ear pain in a safe and easy way.