Every skin requires a proper skin care regime, using the right skin care products to stay healthy and glowing. However, one should know that not every skin care product fits all skin types. If you have dry skin, using products that are meant to offer additional hydration is essential.
Dry skin lacks moisture and is more likely to appear and feel tight, especially after cleansing. If people with dry skin start using cleansers made for normal or oily skin, their skin’s moisture barrier will be disturbed. It will create dry, flaky, and scaly skin.
Therefore, understanding dry skin and using products that intend to add more hydration to it proves beneficial. Let’s delve more into dry skin and understand its specific requirements, especially around cleansers.
What Is Dry Skin?
Skin that lacks moisture in its epidermis (the uppermost layer of skin) comes under dry skin. It is easy to identify such a skin type as it feels tight and dry after every cleansing. Moreover, it gets irritated, itchy, and uncomfortable after cleansing.
If dry skin is not taken care of properly, it starts appearing dull. At the same time, fine lines and wrinkles become easily noticeable. With age, the skin’s ability to retain moisture decreases even more, leading to premature skin aging.
Factors Influencing Skin Dryness
Some major reasons behind skin to appear dry and dull include the following-
- Genetics, wherein skin produces less oil
- Use of certain medications
- Health issues like eczema, psoriasis, and diabetes
- Low humidity
- Use of harsh soaps
- Use of low-grade cosmetics and makeup products
Sometimes, people who take good care experience dry skin due to compromised skin barrier. It is responsible for locking in the skin’s moisture and irritants. However, when it doesn’t function well, the moisture evaporates easily, allowing irritants to enter to the pores and causing skin issues like acne.
Attributes To Seek In Cleansers For Dry Skin
Since dry skin lacks moisture, it requires cleansers or face wash that effectively removes dirt and impurities from the skin without disrupting its natural moisture barrier. Thus, a cleanser that focuses on preserving the moisture level of the skin and enhancing it further should be taken into consideration.
Some major ingredients to look for while selecting the best cleanser for dry skin include-
- Hyaluronic acid
Finding The Right Cleanser For Dry Skin
Below are the tips that help one find the right cleanser for dry skin-
1. Look For Fragrance-free And Alcohol-free Formula
People with dry skin should avoid using cleansers that contain artificial fragrances as they can irritate their skin after cleansing. Cleansers that contain alcohol, fragrance, and allergens should be a big NO as they can strip off the extra moisture, making it drier.
2. Find A Cleanser Developed And Tested By Dermatologists
When in doubt, always go for skin care products that are tried and tested by dermatologists; they are the best to trust when it comes to certain skin types, especially dry, sensitive, and oily. Board-certified dermatologists can help you find the right cleansing product.
3. Try Different Types To Find The Best For You
Cleansers for dry skin come in different forms, among which soap-free cleanser bars, cleansing balms, hydrating micellar water, and toners are the most popular. Do not go for just one product, as one thing that suits a person may not work well for your dry skin.
Some people find cream cleansers more hydrating and nourishing for their dry skin, while others swear by soap-free cleansers. So, try and test every single type before committing to one product for life.
Ingredients To Look for In Cleansers for Dry Skin
Besides following the above tips, here are the ingredients that are must-have in your cleansers-
- Ceramides- These are lipids that create a protective barrier on the skin, helping it retain moisture, protect it against environmental damage, and reduce skin dryness, irritation, and itching.
- Hyaluronic acid- Its function is to support the skin’s moisture balance. Also, it works like a humectant, attracting moisture to the skin and keeping it well-nourished.
- Natural oil- Certain natural oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, and squalane oil are wonder agents for dry skin. They keep the skin moisturized and well-hydrated and also offer beneficial vitamins and minerals to dry skin. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties in these oils offer additional benefits.
- Glycerine- It is one of the most popular moisturizing agents and can benefit dry skin tremendously. It acts as both- humectant and emollient.
Best Cleansers For Dry Skin
1. Youth To The People Facial Cleanser
Comprising natural agents like kale and green tea extracts, this cleanser works effectively on dry skin, keeping it moist and supple after every wash.
- Antioxidant-rich and fights off free radicals
- Balances skin pH, keeping it well-nourished
- Gently removes skin’s dirt and impurities without disturbing its moisture barrier
- Removes excess oils while retaining hydration
2. Paula’s Choice RESIST Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser
It is another best-seller that keeps skin hydrated. The presence of green tea and chamomile ensures that skin stays healthy and well-nourished.
- Restore face to its natural state of moisture and suppleness while cleansing
- Cleanses gently without dehydrating or leaving skin feeling tight
- Replenishes moisture and helps to preserve skin’s healthy barrier
- Ensures visibly smoother, hydrated, softer, and younger-looking skin with each use
3. iS CLINICAL Cleansing Complex
It’s a three-in-one gentle deep pore cleanser face wash and makeup remover that cleanses the face while retaining its natural moisture. It works well for all skin types.
- Clear, lightweight face cleansing gel
- Gentle enough for hypersensitive and dry skin
- Cleanses the surface and pores of the skin without stripping essential natural oils
4. COSRX Low pH Gel Cleanser
Indeed, with powerful ingredients like BHA and tea tree oil, this low-pH gel cleanser works wonders on dry skin. It balances pH and combats major issues of dry skin.
- Removes impurities while strengthening your skin barrier
- Refines the skin texture with no stripping
- Did not cause any skin reactions
- Helps balance skin and protect it from trouble-causing irritants
5. CeraVe Hydrating Cream-to-Foam Cleanser
It is one of the most trusted skincare brands that offer cream-to-foam cleansers specially formulated for dry and irritated skin.
- Gently remove impurities and provide long-lasting hydration
- Dispenses as a rich cream and transforms into a foam as you lather into skin
- Cleanses without stripping skin of moisture or leaving a tight, dry feeling
- Formulated with hyaluronic acid and amino acids to support skin’s Natural Moisturizing Factors
Even though there are multiple cleansers for dry skin, getting the one that is most trusted helps retain dry skin’s sanity. Make sure to use the right cleanser as per the skin type to keep it healthy, vibrant, and glowing.