Hair loss is a common concern for many people, and there are several treatments available to address this issue. One of the latest trends in hair loss treatment is using a dermaroller to promote hair growth. In this article, we will explore the use of dermaroller for hair growth and the evidence supporting its effectiveness.
What is a Dermaroller?
A dermaroller, also known as a microneedling device, is a handheld roller covered with tiny needles that is used to create micro-injuries in the skin. This process stimulates the production of collagen and elastin, which can help to improve the appearance of wrinkles, scars, and stretch marks. Dermarollers are also being used to promote hair growth.
How Does Dermaroller Promote Hair Growth?
The micro-injuries created by the dermaroller stimulate the production of growth factors and increase blood flow to the scalp. This, in turn, can help to promote the growth of new hair follicles and improve the health of existing hair follicles.
Evidence for the Effectiveness of Dermaroller for Hair Growth
- Several studies have investigated the effectiveness of dermaroller for hair growth. A study published in the International Journal of Trichology found that the use of a dermaroller along with a topical hair growth solution was effective in promoting hair growth in individuals with androgenetic alopecia.
- Another study published in the Journal of Cutaneous and Aesthetic Surgery found that microneedling, when combined with topical minoxidil, was effective in promoting hair growth in individuals with androgenetic alopecia.
- A meta-analysis published in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology reviewed multiple studies on microneedling for hair loss and found that microneedling was effective in promoting hair growth, particularly when combined with other hair loss treatments.
Using Dermaroller for Hair Growth
To use a dermaroller for hair growth, the device is rolled over the scalp in a back and forth motion.
It is recommended to use a dermaroller with needles no longer than 1.5mm to avoid causing damage to the scalp.
It is also important to use a clean dermaroller and to disinfect it with rubbing alcohol before and after each use. It is recommended to use the dermaroller once a week for best results.
While dermaroller may be effective in promoting hair growth, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional before using this treatment, particularly if you have a pre-existing medical condition or are taking medication.
Additionally, dermaroller should be avoided if you have an active scalp infection, open wounds, or a history of keloid scarring.
In conclusion, dermaroller may be an effective tool for promoting hair growth, particularly when used in conjunction with other hair loss treatments. Several studies have shown its effectiveness in improving the health of hair follicles and promoting the growth of new hair. However, it is important to use the device properly and to consult with a healthcare professional before using it.
- What is a Dermaroller?: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20808602/
- Evidence for the Effectiveness of Dermaroller for Hair Growth: