Flawless skin is characterized by less open pores. These are small pits, often found on the skin of combination to oily type and make the face appear dull. This also results in blackheads, excess sebum production. and pimples. They can become clogged with the accumulation of dirt and dust. All these don’t imply that pores are harmful. These are necessary for eliminating the toxins and keeping the skin hydrated but when they are enlarged, various issues occur. So we will address this concern in this article.
- Why Do Large Skin Pores Occur?
- Home Remedies to Get Rid of Open Pores on Skin:
- 1. Mashed Papaya:
- 2. Scrubbing Sugar:
- 3. Aloe Vera Gel:
- 4. Mask with Egg Whites:
- 5. Baking Soda:
- 6. Banana Peel:
- 7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- 8. Argan oil:
- 9. Application of Ice Cubes:
- 10. Scrubbing Tomato:
- 11. Multani Mitti or Fuller’s Earth:
- 12. Cucumber:
- 13. Jojoba oil:
- 14. Gram Flour:
- 15. Oatmeal with Tomato:
- 16. Honey:
- 17. Yogurt:
- 18. Olive oil:
- 19. Tea Tree oil:
Why Do Large Skin Pores Occur?
Here are some reasons for large skin pores:
- Hereditary: Sometimes, larger skin pores are just in the genes.
- Ageing: With age the collagen and elastin in the skin are lost, which stretches out the skin, creating larger pores.
- Sunlight Exposure: The skin collagen gets damaged and elasticity is reduced when you step out in harsh sunlight without using any protection on the skin.
- Makeup Products: When you use many makeup products, the skin is unable to breathe, as the pores get clogged. even dirt and oil get deposited in them, gradually leading to an increase in their size. Certain products also result in the reduction of skin elasticity and creating open pores.
- Changes in hormonal balance is another reason for open pores on the face.
- Smoking: Chemicals are deposited on the skin by smoking, widely opening the pores.
- Oily Food: Too much deep-fried food can lead to open pores and oily skin.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Open Pores on Skin:
Try the following home remedies to reduce the appearance of open pores on the face:
1. Mashed Papaya:
Papaya has a good amount of antioxidants along with papain which is an enzyme that is helpful for blemish reduction. It also unclogs the pores.
- For this, you need some rice papaya and mash them to apply on the face.
- This has to be left for 20 minutes before rinsing off with water.
Frequency of use: This can be done 2-3 times a week.
[ Recommended: How to Use Coconut oil for Clogged Pores ]
2. Scrubbing Sugar:
Sugar is an amazing exfoliator and can easily remove oil and debris from the skin pores. Since all the dirt will be eliminated by doing so, the pore size also reduces.
- Take a half-cut lemon and place some sugar on it.
- This needs to be rubbed on the whole face.
- Leave the lemon juice and sugar crystals for about 15 minutes on the face.
- A few drops of oil can also be added to this scrub with half the amount of sugar.
Frequency of use: Try this 2-3 times a week.
[ Recommended: How to Unclog Pores with Baking Soda ]
3. Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe vera is a great cleanser. It also nourishes and hydrates the skin by unclogging the pores.
- Massage some aloe vera gel on the open pores for a few minutes and leave it for 10 minutes before rinsing off with water.
Frequency of use: This needs to be done every day for shrinking the pores.
[ Recommended: How to Use Egg Whites for Clogged Pores ]
4. Mask with Egg Whites:
This is a great agent for toning and tightening the skin and shrinking the large pores. Also, excess oil is easily removed. For this, you need to make a peel-off mask using egg whites.
- First, the egg white needs to be separated from the yolk. Whisk the egg white thoroughly and evenly spread it on your face.
- Take tissue paper and cover the whole face with it such that the egg white will stick to it like glue.
- Upon drying completely, peel it off. Then you can rinse off the face with water.
Frequency of use: It can be done twice every week to experience the benefits.
[ Recommended: How to Treat Clogged Pores Using Charcoal ]
5. Baking Soda:
This helps in balancing skin’s pH levels and is also known for anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial characteristics. Thus using it reduces pimples and acne on the skin.
- Take 2 tablespoons of baking soda with 2 2 tablespoons of lukewarm water.
- Massage this mixture on the face in a circular motion.
- This needs to be left for about 5 minutes before rinsing off with cold water.
Frequency of use: Repeat this three or four times a week for noticing the benefits.
6. Banana Peel:
It has lutein which is an antioxidant that helps in skin rejuvenation and tightening the pores along with the potassium in it.
- Take a peel of ripe banana and run it against your face gently.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes before rinsing with water.
Frequency of use: Repeat the process on alternate days for better outcomes.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar:
It acts as a natural toning agent for the skin besides a great remedy for treating acne breakouts with its anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial characteristics. The pH balance of the skin is restored and the large pores are tightened.
- A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar has to be mixed with 2 teaspoons of water.
- Using a cotton ball, this mixture needs to be applied to the face and left for 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse your skin with water and apply some moisturizer.
Frequency of use: Try this 2-3 times a week.
8. Argan oil:
This is a good source of vitamin E and fatty acids which are essential for keeping the skin hydrated. The pores are reduced and skin gets a natural glow.
- Take 2-3 drops of Argan oil and warm it by rubbing it between your fingers.
- This needs to be gently massaged on the face using fingertips and left for about 30 minutes before rinsing with some warm water.
Frequency of use: You can do this every day before going to bed to experience glowing skin.
9. Application of Ice Cubes:
Doing this tightens the skin, by which the pores shrink. It is recommended to do it before the application of makeup. This will enhance blood circulation in the face and make it appear healthy.
- Take some ice cubes in a washcloth and rub them on your face in a circular motion.
- Make sure to cleanse your face thoroughly before doing this.
- In case ice cubes are unavailable, you can also use ice-cold water to wash your face.
Frequency of use: You can try this often, especially during summers.
[ Recommended: Benefits of Rubbing Ice Cubes on Face ]
10. Scrubbing Tomato:
Tomato has astringent characteristics which help in the removal of excess oil and tightening the skin besides pores reduction. The lycopene and antioxidants help in slowing down the natural aging process.
- Take a tablespoon of tomato juice mixed with 3-4 lemon juice drops.
- Apply this mixture to the skin. Leave it for about 20 minutes before rinsing off using cold water.
Frequency of use: Try this 1-2 times a week.
11. Multani Mitti or Fuller’s Earth:
This is used for exfoliating the skin to remove the excessive oil from the surface.
- Multani mitti needs to be mixed with a teaspoon of rose water.
- This paste can be applied evenly on the face and left for drying.
- After some time, while rinsing it off, the dried Multani mitti can be rubbed off in circular motion with a small amount of water.
- Later the whole face needs rinsing with cold water.
Frequency of use: Try this 1-2 times a week.
It helps in slowing down the natural aging process and tightening the pores on the skin owing to its high water content and antioxidant characteristics.
- Take 4-5 cold cucumber slices (taken from the refrigerator) and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.
- These need to be blended for creating a pulp to apply on the face.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes before rinsing with water.
Frequency of use: Try this 2 times a week to observe better outcomes.
13. Jojoba oil:
It has a similar consistency to the oils that are naturally found in our skin and is a good remedy for open pores. It also helps in cleansing the pores.
- Take some jojoba oil drops and massage gently on the face in a circular motion with your fingertips.
- Let it remain overnight and rinse off in the morning.
Frequency of use: This can be used 2-3 times a week to get glowing skin.
14. Gram Flour:
It is a good exfoliator that helps in removing the dead skin cells, tightening the skin, and reducing the pore size.
- Take a tablespoon of gram flour with some turmeric powder and curd. Add 2-3 drops of virgin olive oil to it.
- Make a smooth paste with these and apply it to the face. Keep it for 25 minutes before rinsing off with normal water.
- Dry your face with a towel and apply some moisturizer.
Frequency of use: Practice this twice or thrice a week for better outcomes.
15. Oatmeal with Tomato:
Oatmeal helps in exfoliating and absorbing oil. Tomatoes have astringent characteristics. When combined they can help in skin cleansing and reducing the pore size.
- Take a small ripe tomato and a tablespoon of ground oatmeal. Make it into a paste and apply it to the face.
- This needs to be thoroughly massaged and then washed off after some time.
Frequency of use: Do this once a week.
It is a natural moisturizer as well as a cleanser that enhances skin quality. The skin gets tightened and the pores are closed by it.
- Take some honey and massage in the pores, mainly those near the nose and cheeks.
- Follow a circular motion while doing it and leave it for 15 minutes. Use lukewarm water for washing it off.
- Then wash the face with cold water for tightening the pores.
Frequency of use: Follow this daily or at least 3 times a week for better results.
It is good for reducing the blemishes on the skin and tightening the pores because of the lactic acid in it. Besides this, the dead cells and the impurities are also removed.
- Take 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and apply on the areas with open pores.
- This needs to be left for about 20 minutes before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Frequency of use: You can do this twice a week to reduce the size of the pores.
18. Olive oil:
It has phenolic compounds which are known for their inflammatory and antioxidant characteristics. Skin issues like enlarged pores, dryness, itchiness and others are prevented by using it.
- Take some drops of extra virgin oil and massage on the large pores in a gentle circular motion for some time before rinsing off with lukewarm water.
Frequency of use: This has to be repeated once every day.
19. Tea Tree oil:
It has astringent properties that reduce the pore size. Also, it is a good antimicrobial agent.
- Take 3-4 drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water. Transfer it to a sprayer bottle and store it in the refrigerator.
- After it cools down, it can be sprayed on the face and let dry off naturally.
Frequency of use: You can use this toner every morning and evening but make sure that the skin is cleaned before use.
These were some of the easiest and best home remedies for reducing skin pore size. Make sure to follow the right process while applying them to experience the benefits.