Essential oils are loaded with therapeutic properties (1). It has made them a potent remedy for several diseases, especially those associated with infection, inflammation, and pain.
If you are looking for an effective home remedy for ganglion cysts, essential oils could be a good catch. Regular use of certain essential oils makes cysts less noticeable. The best part is that essential oils have no side effects as they are plant extracts.
This article talks about the best essential oils for ganglion cysts. Before checking them, let’s briefly discover a few basic things about ganglion cysts.
What Is A Ganglion Cyst?
Jelly-like substances or round and oval-shaped noncancerous lumps occurring on any part of the body are called ganglion cysts. Generally, they appear on wrists, hands, ankles, and feet.
These cysts are filled with sticky, thick, and colorless jelly-like fluid called gelatinous mucoid material (2). Usually, they are pea-sized or maybe large with a 2.5 cm diameter.
Often ganglion cysts develop on top of a joint, causing difficulty with joint movement. If a ganglion cyst develops near a nerve, it causes extreme pain and discomfort.
It has been shown that 58% of ganglion cysts resolve spontaneously (3)over time. However, if they stay and cause pain, surgical intervention is necessary.
How Do Essential Oils Help In Ganglion Cysts?
Essential oils are therapeutic. They can help relieve pain and discomfort from cysts and ease joint movement. Moreover, regular use of certain essential oils can help dissolve them faster.
Check out these best essential oils for ganglion cysts and how they help provide relief to the issue.
1. Frankincense Oil
Frankincense oil is an effective essential oil for ganglion cysts due to its anti-tumor properties (4). It can treat abnormal skin growth.
Besides being a natural anti-inflammatory agent (5), it helps to reduce swelling. The analgesic properties of frankincense oil provide huge relief from pain due to cysts. Apart from these, if you have undergone surgery due to ganglion cysts, Frankincense oil will help heal the wounds faster.
How To Use?
- Dilute Frankincense oil with a carrier oil and drop a few drops over the cysts.
- Massage gently twice or thrice a day to see the improvement.
2. Juniper Berry Oil
Juniper Berry Oil is extracted from fresh or dried berries. With its strong antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-microbial properties (6), this oil helps treat ganglion cysts.
The antioxidant properties of juniper berry oil speed up the healing process and boost the immune system. At the same time, it stimulates the lymph draining process that helps the lump to drain and become smaller.(7)
How To Use?
- Dilute juniper berry oil with coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio.
- Massage this mixture gently over the affected areas and let the oil stay for a few hours to penetrate the skin.
This massage helps in reducing the pain due to ganglion cysts effectively.
3. Lemongrass Essential Oil
Lemongrass essential oil is obtained from lemongrass leaves through steam distillation. This oil has strong anti-inflammatory properties that aid muscle and joint pain.(8)
Regular massaging with lemongrass essential oil also improves poor blood circulation and thereby helps in dissolving cysts faster. Moreover, the antibacterial, anti-insecticidal, and anti-fungal properties ensure no infection if you have undergone cyst removal surgery.(9)
How to use it?
- Blend a few drops of lemongrass essential oil with coconut oil.
- Rub it gently over the ganglion cysts affected areas twice a day.
4. Oregano Oil
The anti-cancer potential of oregano essential oil prevents the multiplication of cysts cells further and ceases their growth. Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties help shrink cysts and boost immunity.(10, 11)
How To Use?
- Mix equal drops of oregano and frankincense oil with two tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture over the affected areas and massage in a circular motion for 2 minutes.
- Let the oil stay for a few hours and wash off.
Together, oregano and frankincense oil can give a burning sensation; therefore, mix them with a carrier oil like coconut or olive oil before using.
5. Thyme Oil
Thyme oil is loaded with antibacterial, antispasmodic, and expectorant properties. It soothes the skin and gives a warm sensation, relieving unbearable joint pain due to ganglion cysts.(12)
Additionally, it boosts blood circulation, which helps dissolve the cysts faster.
How To Use It?
- Dilute a few drops of thyme oil in coconut, olive, or jojoba oil.
- Apply this blend directly over the cysts and rub gently.
- Apply regularly for a week to see the results.
6. Cypress Oil
Cypress oil is known for its stimulant properties. In addition, the strong anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and diuretic properties make this oil a potent remedy for dissolving cysts.(13)
It helps drain the fluid from the cysts and alleviate the pain due to them. If you have undergone surgery to remove the cysts, cypress oil will accelerate healing.
How To Use It?
- Blend a few drops of cypress oil with coconut or olive oil.
- Mix well and apply it over the ganglion cysts to improve blood circulation and drain cyst fluid.
7. Tea Tree Oil
How To Use It?
- Mix tea tree oil with coconut oil or jojoba oil and apply it gently over the cysts.
- Cover the cyst with a bandage for a few hours.
- Repeat for at least a week to get rid of ganglion cysts naturally.
Cautions While Using Essential Oils
It is necessary to follow certain safety tips while using essential oil as they come in highly concentrated forms. If used incorrectly, they can do more harm than help.
- Always perform a patch test by taking a small amount of essential oil (diluted) and applying it to a small area of your body. You might come out to be allergic to some essential oils.
- Never use essential oils directly over the skin as they are concentrated and may burn or irritate the skin.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should always consult their doctor before using essential oils.
- Essential oils should not be consumed or applied to sensitive areas like the eyes; therefore, keep them out of reach of children.
Usually, ganglion cysts do not require emergency treatment; however, when left untreated, they may worsen and cause severe pain.
Therefore, efforts should be made to improve blood circulation around the areas affected by ganglion cysts. Essential oils are proven remedies to relieve pain and inflammation. They are beneficial for ganglion cysts as well.
Make sure you use them in the right ways to get rid of pain and discomfort.
- Essential oils, their therapeutic properties, and implication in dentistry: A review https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4606594/
- Ganglion Cyst: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK470168/
- Treatment of Ganglion Cysts: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4045351/
- Frankincense essential oil suppresses melanoma cancer: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6544398/
- Frankincense–therapeutic properties: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27117114/
- Potential of Juniperus communis L as a nutraceutical in human and veterinary medicine: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6726717/
- Chemical Composition and Antioxidant Properties of Juniper Berry Essential Oil: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4665443/
- Lemongrass (Cymbopogon flexuosus) essential oil demonstrated anti-inflammatory effect: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5801909/
- Antimicrobial Activity of Lemongrass Essential Oil (Cymbopogon flexuosus) and Its Active Component Citral Against Dual-Species Biofilms: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fcimb.2020.603858/
- Extraction, Chemical Composition, and Anticancer Potential of Origanum onites L. Essential Oil: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6680447/
- Essential Oils of Oregano: Biological Activity beyond Their Antimicrobial Properties: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6152729/
- Antimicrobial Activities of Clove and Thyme Extracts: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3074903/
- Chemical composition, antimicrobial and antibiofilm activity of the essential oil and methanol extract of the Mediterranean cypress: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4052795/
- Melaleuca alternifolia (Tea Tree) Oil: a Review of Antimicrobial and Other Medicinal Properties: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1360273/
You Might Also Like:
- How To Get Rid Of Bruises With Toothpaste
- Essential Oil For Keratosis Pilaris
- Apple Cider Vinegar For Boils
- How to Use Turmeric to Reduce Inflammation?
- 10 Best Home Remedies for Sinus Infection
- How to Use Frankincense Oil for Cancer Prevention
- How to Use Honey to Heal Wounds?
- How Fenugreek Helps to Increase Your Breast Milk Supply?
- How to Treat Wounds With Hydrogen Peroxide?
- How to Get Rid of a Nose Piercing Bump?
- 10 Natural Remedies to Treat Burns At Home
- 10 Healthy Foods To Boost Immune System