Pumpkin seed oil a.k.a. ‘green gold’plays an important role in the cuisine of Eastern Europe. The customary way of preparing pumpkin seed oil is still carried out in the following states – Hungary, Croatia, Romania, Slovenia and in the region of Styria in Austria. Pumpkin Seed oil is prepared from the seeds of pumpkin. The Local pumpkin is taken and the seeds are dried out. The density of the oil is very thick and the color is also very thick. The oil is very healthy for the body as it possesses many nutrients that can boost up health. This oil performs well, when you apply it over your body or if you devour it.
[Related: Remedies for Alopecia Hair Loss]
Table of Contents
Synopsis of Pumpkin seed oil:
Now-a-days the oil is made by collecting the seeds from different varieties of pumpkin. But, the conventional oil was prepared only with the seeds froma variety calledCucurbitapepovar ‘styriaca.’ This variety is grown in the region of Styria in Austria. When this oil is mixed with yogurt it will produce a deep green color, by which it acquired its name – ‘green gold.’
How to Choose the Right Pumpkin Seed Oil:
The oil is acquired from the solvent extraction process or by following the routinecold press method. The oil obtained from the cold press method, is the healthy oil. The other process contains destructive chemicals, which should be avoided. The consistency of the oil obtained from the cold press method will be thick, opaque and would require a filtration to minimize its turbidity.
The Color of the Pumpkin Seeds:
Pumpkin seed oil is dichromatic in nature. It owns two prominent colors – Dark green and deep red. The general color of the pumpkin seed oil is a synthesis of these two colors.
[Related: How Fish Oil Control Hair Loss?]
The Research Study on Pumpkin Seed Oil for Hair:
A research was conducted in South Korea on the use of pumpkin seed oil in men with baldness. The number of participants was 76. They reported moderate hair loss. The study went on for three months, where the participants were asked to stop from taking in drugs of any type. The group was sorted into two. One division was treated with placebo and the other was provided with capsules of pumpkin seed oil twice a day. At the end of the sixth month out of the team members who took in pumpkin seed capsules 44% experienced moderate hair growth.
How does Pumpkin Seed Oil Support in Hair Growth:
- The pumpkin seed oil possesses an element that blocks the alpha-reductase enzyme. This also disrupts the testosterone and converts to DHT. This DHT helps in avoiding the damage that rises when the hair follicles process to generate new streaks. People, who are genetically affected with hair loss, will have protein receptors enclosed to the base of their hair structure. Also, these are allergic to DHT. When DHT gets into these receptors, the follicles receive less nutrition and oxygen. The pumpkin seed oil works in a way by halting the alpha-reductase enzyme.
- Pumpkins are a rich source of Vitamin B and Vitamin D, these vitamins are renowned for their ability to boost hair growth.
- The pumpkin seed oil is fully packed with nutrients that the hair requires. The important ones among them are – omega 6 fatty acids, iron and zinc. This oil will also maintain moisture on the hair and keep you hair nurtured. It will also keep your scalp hydrated.
How to Prepare Pumpkin Seed Oil at Home:
It is better to choose Styrian pumpkin seeds for better results. The process is pretty tedious and eats up a lot of time.
1. Styrian pumpkin seeds
4. Airtight container
How to Prepare Oil:
1. Collect about 2.5 kilograms of pumpkin seeds to prepare one liter of oil. If you should get this quantity, you would require about 5 pumpkins.
2. Split the pumpkins into equal halves, so that the seeds can be cleaned out of the pumpkin easily.
3. Manually, remove all the seeds and separate them from the pulp of pumpkin.
4. Wash the seeds in a running tap water.
5. Dry the seeds in hot sun. The seeds must be clean without any pulp on it.
6. Take all the dried seeds in a bowl and heat in 140F for some time in the oven. The roasting time and the temperature will have a great influence in the flavor of the oil. But keep in mind, do not burn the seeds.
7. Now it is time to crush the seeds, use a mortar and pestle and remove the dark oil. You should apply more pressure to get this process right.
8. Gather the oil and store it in an airtight container for about four weeks.
9. Now store this in a bottle.
10. The oil is ready to be used now.
Prepare this oil at home and use it regularly. This oil will promote hair growth as it comprises of biotin. You will see for yourself a healthy, thick and shiny hair.
Should you consume or apply it?
Both will give you equal benefits. But when you apply it externally, apply it only on your hair and not on the skin.
- 17 Amazing Benefits of Sunflower Seeds
- 16 Benefits of Flax Seeds For Skin, Hair and Health
- 50 Best Uses & Benefits of Sea Buckthorn Seed Oil