It is from the word from tart cherries that the, Tart cherry juice is derived. It belongs to a species of cherry which is scientifically referred to as a Prunus cerasus which can be found in certain parts of Europe and Asia, where it has been cultivated for centuries. It is also known as dwarf cherry or sour cherry.(1)
Unlike the common cherries which you can easily purchase it from most of the grocery stores these cherries are not that popular when compared with the other groceries. The reason for this is because of they have high acidity. You may not use them as snacks but you can mix them in soups and meat dishes. Their extract is one of the most popular element in candies and desserts.
You can purchase tart cherry juice as a concentrate, and is included in various dietary supplements such as vitamin E, vitamin A/C/zinc, quercetin as well as other useful hormones.
Surprising Tart Cherry Juice Benefits
There are lots of people who have started using tart cherry juice in connection with some of their health needs. This is because it contains a rich supply of anti-inflammatory and antioxidants compounds.
1. Tart Cherry Juice For Insomnia
If you are suffering from insomnia then you could greatly benefit from drinking tart cherry juice. Chronic pain and high blood pressure are the causes of insomnia. Tart cherries, or in particular Montmorency tart cherries contains a natural source of melatonin – also known as the hormone of darkness. The reason for this is that it helps to regulate our sleep-wake cycle. It is also one of the major reasons as to why the juice can work as well as sleeping pills for some people.(2)
On the other hand these cherries also contain proanthocyanidins which is an ingredient which helps to increase the presence of a precursor of serotonin, the amino acid tryptophan, a brain chemical which plays an import part o the modulation of sleep.
2. Tart Cherry Juice For Gout
Drinking tart cherry juice or eating tart cherries can at times bring relief from gout pain. Cherries help in minimizing uric acid crystals which results in joint inflammation in gout. What is gout? Gout is very painful form of arthritis results in the buildup of uric acid crystals in the bloodstream. You can find uric acid in our bloodstreams, however; when a large number of it builds up, it results in the formation of crystals. It is in the big toe that these crystals build causing debilitating pain. You suffer pain which is like a fire. When gout attacks, the sufferers cannot have a sheet over their toes. It awakens people from their sleep because they take place in the middle of the night thereby making matters worse.(3)
3. Tart Cherry Juice For Arthritis
Arthritis is known as inflammation in the body joints such as, hips, knee, knuckles, ankles, wrist etc. It is this inflammation which results in pain and poses difficulty in mobility of these body parts. The degradation of cartilages attack by our own immune system, infections apart from the excessive uric acid levels in the body. Some of the common types of arthritis are rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, septic arthritis and gout.(4)
The risk factors associated with arthritis are weight, age, injury and weak immune system. In the treatment of arthritis, pain n is an inevitable cause of arthritis. Cherry juice is a popular juice which has pain relieving action. This juice is very effective in muscle pain related to many conditions including arthritis. Tart cherries which are a natural food rich in antioxidants can eliminate some of the chronic inflammation which are linked with osteoarthritis and help the athletes so that they can keep moving.
4. Tart Cherry Juice For Inflammation
Cherries are rich in anthocyanins which are a naturally-occurring plant compounds which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. There are many proponents who are of the opinion that cherries as well as their juice can help in the treatment conditions involving inflammation, such as:(5)
- Back pain
- Muscle pain and soreness
- Rheumatoid arthritis
5. Tart Cherry Juice For Joint Pain Relief
Researchers have tested many different types of cherries and all of the cherries are rich in anthocyanins which are a plant which can provide them with vibrant color and is found in red and purple fruits.(6)
6. Tart Cherry Juice For Insomnia
Are you aware of the fact that when you drink half-cup or 1 cup of tart cherry juice, it can help you to sleep better and fight insomnia? This natural sleep aid has the necessary ingredients of tryptophan which is a necessary essential amino acid converting to serotonin, which then converts to melatonin. When you drink this juice, it will help helps regulate sleep and wake cycles by making you drowsy and also in lowering your body temperature.
7. Tart Cherry Juice And Weight Loss
When you drink the juice of tart cherries, it helps in enhancing your metabolism thereby burning calories and preventing the storage of fat around your belly(7)
8. Tart Cherry Juice For Cramps
It has been revealed that anthocyanin’s which are compound rich in antioxidants can assist in reducing muscle cramps.(8)
9. Tart Cherry Juice Blood Pressure
If you have high blood pressure, then you can drink tart cherry juice as it helps to significantly helps to lower your blood pressure. When you drink tart Montmorency cherry juice, it helps to lower your BP at a level which can be compared with that achieved by medication.(9)
How Much Should I Drink Tart Cherry Juice?
You are advised to drink only two teaspoons of Montmorency tart cherry juice concentrate or eight ounces of Montmorency tart cherry juice or which you can take as a shot or in your favorite beverage and diluted in your water twice a day for a minimum of 7 days at least seven days.(10)
Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate Side Effects
Similar to other things tart cherries especially the pure cherry extract can result in side effects for some people. As an example, if you have hay fever, you may also be sensitive to cherry tart extract.
The symptoms which you can experience are some gastrointestinal issues because of its acidic nature. You can experience symptoms of diarrhea, stomach upset and heartburn. One more side effect is that by having art cherry juice or extract in your diet is that there is no exact dosage which you should take.
The Bottom Line:
Last, but not least, it can be that the tart cherry juice or tart cherry extract might not have the same amount of effectiveness for everyone. It may work miracles for some people. Others may not experience anything at all.
Best Tart Cherry Juice Brands
|Top Picks||Check Price|
|Best Tart Cherry Juice for Gout:Cheribundi Cherry Juice||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Tart Cherry Juice for Inflammation:Cherrish Tart Cherry Juice Original||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Organic Tart Cherry Juice:Tahiti Trader Tart Cherry Organic Juice||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Tart Cherry Juice for Sleep100% Montmorency Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate by Obstbaum Orchards||Buy on Amazon|
|Best Concentrate Tart Cherry JuiceTart is Smart Montmorency Cherry Concentrate||Buy on Amazon|
- Tart Cherry Extract Containing Chlorogenic Acid, Quercetin, and Kaempferol Inhibits the Mitochondrial Apoptotic Cell Death Elicited by Airborne PM10 in Human Epidermal Keratinocytes- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8001120/
- Pilot Study of Tart Cherry Juice for the Treatment of Insomnia and Investigation of Mechanisms- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5617749/
- Effect of tart cherry juice on risk of gout attacks: protocol for a randomised controlled trial- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7073821/
- Impact of Tart Cherry Juice on Joint Flexibility and Pain in Individuals with Self-Reported Knee Osteoarthritis (P01-030-19)- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6574019/
- Effects of Tart Cherry Juice on Biomarkers of Inflammation and Oxidative Stress in Older Adults- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6413159/
- Tart Cherry Juice as a Treatment for Peripheral Neuropathy- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4566454/
- Efficacy of tart cherry juice in reducing muscle pain during running: a randomized controlled trial-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2874510/
- Impact of tart cherry juice on systolic blood pressure and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in older adults: a randomized controlled trial- https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29862410/
- Cherry juice, tart- https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/167807/nutrients
You Might Also Like:
- How To Take Cherry Juice For Arthritis
- What Happens When You Drink Water with Baking Soda on an Empty Stomach
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Gout: Does It Work?
- How To Take Cherry Juice For Gout
- 20 Unknown Benefits of Drinking Beetroot Juice
- 13 Wonderful Benefits of Potato Juice for Health & Beauty
- 29 Surprising Benefits of Carrot Juice
- 20 Benefits Of Beetroot Juice For Skin, Hair & Health