Beetroot has been widely popular because of its health benefits since the ages. It is well known for a few benefits such as reducing blood pressure, heart problems, kidney problems, etc. This list is what we intend to see here in good detail and maybe think of incorporating beetroot juice in our lives.Beetroot juice, having most benefits of beetroot eating, is good because if we drink it, it can give us an instant boost. It is the undisputed champion of all the juices that we can drink to improve our health. Before discussing how it can benefit us, let us have a look at the properties of beetroot.
Spectacular Properties of Beetroot
The nutritional values of beetroot are as given below:
- Calories: 58 kcal
- Fat: 0 g
- Sodium: 106 mg
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 0
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sugar: 9 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Vitamin B6: 0.1 mg (5% DV)
- Vitamin C: 6 mg (11% DV)
- Sodium: 106 mg (4% DV)
- Zinc: 0.5 mg (3% DV)
- Calcium: 21 mg (2% DV)
- Copper: 0.1 mg (5% DV)
- Phosphorous: 54 mg (5% DV)
- Iron: 1 mg (6% DV)
- Magnesium: 31 mg (8% DV)
- Potassium: 442 mg (13% DV)
- Manganese: 0.4 mg (22% DV)
- Pantothenic acid: 0.2 mg (2% DV)
- Riboflavin: 0.1 mg (3% DV)
- Niacin: 0.5 mg (2% DV)
- Thiamin: 001 mg (3% DV)
- Folate: 148 mcg (37% DV)
- Vitamin A: –
- Vitamin B12: –
- Selenium: 1 mg
- Vitamin K: –
….. and many more in small quantities.
* DV- Daily Value
Beetroot also contains nitrates, which in many other cases may be harmful, but in this case, it is highly beneficial. These inorganic nitrates are converted by our body into nitric oxide which is helpful in dilating blood vessels and reduce blood pressure, etc. We have now seen the nutritional facts about beetroot, time to enlighten ourselves with its amazing benefits.
20 Beetroot Juice Benefits
1. Prevents Birth Defects: Beetroot contains folic acid, and just 100 g of beetroot has enough of it to fulfil 27 % of required daily intake. This folic acid prevents any kind of birth defects.
2. Cancer Prevention: It contains betacyanin which is said to be helpful in prevention of cancers. Some even say that it might even help in beating cancer altogether.
3. Reduces Chances Of Obesity: Studies show that consuming beetroot lessens our chances of being obese and reduces our overall chances of prematurely dying.
4. Reduces Risk Of Hypertension: Beetroot reduces running the risk of hypertension. As explained earlier above, the nitrates in beetroot dilate the blood vessels and reduce blood pressure.
5. Improves Memory & Vital Functions: Beetroot contains choline which is very helpful in vitalizing memory, boost learning, improve sleep and muscle movements. Choline also helps keep the nerve transmissions healthy, helps in fat absorption and in maintaining cell structure.
6. Detoxification: Beetroot also contains tri-methyl glycine, which helps in detoxification and removal of an amino acid called homocysteine which is linked to the occurrence of strokes, causing damage to red blood vessels and atherosclerosis.
[ Read: Health Benefits of Cherry Juice ]
7. Reduces Cholesterol: Beetroot juice is said to increase the production of glutathione which attaches itself to the toxins in the body and expels them through the feces. It also lowers the bad cholesterol and triglycerides in our body and constricts our blood flow. It also enhances the good cholesterol levels (HDL) and prevents heart diseases and arteriosclerosis.
8. Good Energizer: It boosts athletic performance by increasing the capacity of our blood to carry oxygen. It also causes a reduction in the oxygen demand of the muscles. All this means a substantial increase in our energy levels and stamina.
9. Controls Diabetes: It contains alpha-lipoic acid which increases insulin sensitivity, lowers the glucose levels and prevents the changes induced by oxidative stress in patients suffering from Diabetes. Hence, it is a must have in a diabetes patient’s inventory to stay healthy.
10. Prevents Arthritis: It helps in dissolving the excess calcium that may have deposited around joints and tissues. Being highly alkaline in nature, it causes this extra calcium deposits to dissolve. This way it is helpful in fighting arthritis.
11. Fights Anemia: Beetroot’s richness in Vitamins’ B1, B2, B6, and P, and Phosphorous, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Calcium, Sulfur, Iodine, Copper and fat help patients with low hemoglobin levels against their anemia.
12. Effective Anti-Aging Agent: Beetroot juice helps in neutralization of free radical which cause many other problems and lead to a faster aging process. Beetroot helps us slow the process of aging and keeping ourselves look younger for longer.
13. Improves Digestion: Beetroot juice is also known to improve the intestine functioning and digestion and absorption of food. It also helps in bringing to normalcy an upset stomach.
14. Boosts Metabolism: Beetroot juice also helps boost our metabolism, which would mean our basal metabolic rate is increased. This in turn would mean that we must put in lesser efforts to be in the perfect body shape.
[ Read: Health Benefits of Carrot Juice ]
15. Stress Buster: It also contains tryptophan and betaine, both of which uplift our mood. Hence, it will also help us keep happier and keep our stress at bay in today’s fast paced life.
16. Prevents Acne: Beetroot juice daily will help us keep our skin clear and without acne and would minimize the oil. Applying a mixture of 2 portions of beetroot juice with 1 portion of yogurt and the acne will dry very quickly and wouldn’t even leave any scars.
17. Removes Dark Circle: Applying beetroot juice over dark circles also helps in eliminating them.
18. Enriches Hair Health: Beetroot improves the overall hair health. It can be mixed with some ginger juice if the goal is prevention of hair loss. Adding vinegar and to it and the problem of a dry scalp would be long gone.
19. Improves Liver Health: Being full of antioxidants, it boosts liver function by eliminating the toxins that hamper liver health. The glutathione helps in keeping our liver healthy and in regenerating our liver cells and improves the production of fats in the liver.
20. Improves Skin Hydration: Beetroot juice also helps in keeping the skin hydrated and by removing the top dead cell layer of our skin it helps us in maintaining a smooth skin.
Precautions To Keep In Mind
Beetroot is undoubtedly full of benefits to qualify it as a super-food, but there are a few things we must keep in mind while consuming beetroot juice. These are:
- Just like most fresh juices it is advisable not to store it for long otherwise it may become a breeding ground for bacteria which convert the nitrate into nitrite and then it will be potentially very harmful.
- Large of nitrates in the diet may react negatively to certain medications. So even if it is a super-food, it is advisable to practice moderation and ask the physician if any medication course is going on.
- It may cause redness in feces or urine.
Now we know the qualities and benefits of beetroot juice and have also discussed the precautions which must be kept in mind while reaping the benefits of this super-food. So, it’s time we apply these pearls of wisdom for the sake of better health and live disease free and young.
You Might Also Like:
- Essential Oils For Calcium Deposits On Face
- 9 Surprising Tart Cherry Juice Benefits & Side Effects You Might Not Know
- 12 Side Effects Of Beetroot Juice
- 10 Side Effects Of Pumpkin Juice